Learning Animation for your indie games

So you are a young indie developer on the mission to make your first game you make a story concept character concept and learn a 3D software you begin programming and learning to make mechanics and think you are doing great until, you realize that your animations skills are almost zero and you can only make simple walk cycles and little attacks like a kick or something, but you want and need some more to make your game move forward( like a swords man that can use a sword animation). how do you learn to animate for your indie game? Any help please!

1 Like

This will answer all your questions and teach you everything you need to know. There is no better resource for Blender animation

3 Likes

Thank you I will look at the resource. He is an amazing rigger too.

1 Like

Have you tried the course before?

1 Like

Yep, I’m a huge fan :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think they are the only person I have seen showing details about animating tails on creatures. A lot of my characters have tail but since I don’t know how to animate them at all a remove them. Maybe I can keep them now.

1 Like

I study animation by observation. Jean Denis Haas has a great Youtube channel where you can learn animation techniques.
https://www.youtube.com/@jeandenishaas

3 Likes

I remember my first order was for online pokies. I needed to create a 3D concept for the pokies, and later my customer asked if I could make it on a 3D printer. My customer was https://pokieslab.com/real-money-pokies. Fortunately, I had already learned the basics of animation, so I could deliver a great final product. It’s important to note that this is not spam.

If you’re interested in animating for games, it’s essential to start by learning the basics of animation. This includes things like timing, spacing, weight, and anticipation. Having a strong understanding of these principles will allow you to create animations that are both visually appealing and functional within a game environment. Many online resources can help you learn the basics of animation, including books, tutorials, and online courses.

3 Likes

The best technique is to create the animation as simple it can possible be. Then day by day to do small improvements and corrections in each iteration.

Say for example if one animation needs about 1 hour of work, it can consist of 10 minutes * an entire week. Is much better to spend little time by many times - rather than a lot of time for one day. The trick here is to have fresh eyes every day to see mistakes and correct as you go.

1 Like

I recommend you this book :

Every professional animators has it, it’s a classic that is super inspiring even for non-animator artists.
I didn’t watched the course by p2design but it seems a great resource too.

Animation is like 98% of theory, you don’t have to focus too much on the animation for game part even the tools are quite easy to understand. But once you know the basics it can translate to video games, cartoon, and whatever needs to be animated.

Here are a few random ressources :

These will probably help you to get a first glance of what is animation and it’s filled with cool little tricks, but that won’t replace proper training, be prepared to study for some months probably with an in-depth course to get somewhere.
While like you can learn modeling by doing some random tutorial here and there, and work on your own based on that, I’m a bit skeptical about doing the same with animation …

Have fun, it’s a super interesting field !

2 Likes