Learning stylized character sculpting

tried my hand at stylized sculpting, would really appreciate some feedback if anyone has something to add.

here is a workbench render

And here is a timelapse of the workflow for those interested

4 Likes

It’s lookin very good :+1:
The only thing that mark my attention is that her eyes have maybe a little bit too much height, but if it’s what you were going for then I can only applaud :clap:

1 Like

Nice!

I’ve added the #art-breakdown tag. Thank you so much for sharing your workflow!

Overall, she looks quite good: pretty, but still distinctive. I personally wouldn’t have gone quite so large with the eyes and I think the eyebrow bridge area is a little wide (not the whole nose bridge, just the area shown below), but they are still within the bounds of what can look “correct” for a stylized character, and the proportions feel harmonious with the exaggeration, as a cartoon character should be. She feels quite expressive even though the expression isn’t particularly dramatic.

The hair is lovely and the texturing and shading look quite good. I’d have probably textured the eyebrows to have a more solid in appearance to match the style of the hair better, but they look fine as is.

For a final art render, I would probably go a bit darker for the shadows given that the background suggests a night scene, though since you’re looking for feedback on the character modeling, the flatter high key lighting does make it easier to read.

Also looks like you submitted before your workbench render had finished uploading.

3 Likes

thanks you so much for such and in depth explanation, its so nice to have concrete things to work on for the next render.
will definitely spend a lot more time around the eye socket region.

1 Like