Lego X-Wing Taking Off

This is a short animation and still render of a Lego Star Wars X-Wing taking off. I built the models using LeoCAD, and then exported them from there into Blender 3.4. The Lego material was made by me (you can download it here). Textures are from AmbientCG, and the HDRI is from Poly Haven. This render was my first time using Natron for some of the compositing. The animation was rendered at 1080p with 1024 samples.

You can find extra info on my website: https://whocompute.com/img/760993

Feedback is welcome.

Thumbnail

48 Likes

This is awesome, I really enjoyed watching your animation. I just wish it was longer, but I’ll make up for that by watching it again :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Nice, really nice.
How did you do the animation of the “dust” blocks?

1 Like

Yeah, I wondered that, too.

It’s rather a complex setup. I believe it would be easier to do this through geometry nodes now, but I have been working on this project for a while, so I didn’t bother converting it.

The technique is based off of a tutorial from Ray Mairlot about how to create a Lego fluid simulation from back in the 2.7X days. I applied the concepts from that tutorial, but used a smoke sim and volume-to-mesh modifier instead of a fluid sim. If want to do it this way, you can watch the video and then apply the modifications I mentioned, but if you’re just interested in roughly it works:

• Create a smoke sim and export it as an OpenVDB sequence

• Import it into your Blender scene (I think it needs to be an external OpenVDB sequence, it can’t just be a simulation you created in the same file. Or, at least that’s how it was when I first built the scene)

• Add a random object, like a plane

• Add a volume to mesh modifier to the plane

• Add a boolean union modifier with some cubes to give the simulation a fixed “bounding box”

• Add a remesh modifier set to “blocks”

• Add a lattice to stretch the mesh into rectangular Lego-brick shapes instead of perfect cubes

• Add a boolean intersect modifier to remove the first boolean cubes from view

• Parent a Lego brick to the plane and set it to use dupliverts, or “Vertices” under the “Instancing” section in the object menu

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the modifier stack:

As you can see, it’s a somewhat ugly solution, and it’s not very fast in the viewport. But until recently, it was the only way I knew of to do it.

who

2 Likes

Nice setup but I agree that a solution with geometry nodes could be better.
I’m not a GeomNodes expert but it seems doable.

Thank you for sharing your setup.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe like:

• Make a smoke sim
  • Import data files as VDB
  • Use a volume to mesh modifier
  • Then add a mesh to lego modifier

Hi everyone,

Here is the “Behind the Scenes” article for this brilliant artwork!

Do check out this article, written by the artist themself. It describes the step-by-step process of creating the artwork and provides insight into brick-ified smoke simulation in Blender.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn