Light beams.... *New Image Added*

Hey gang…

I am trying to get the spotlight/search lights done for my project…

http://www.clintonville.k12.wi.us/misc/lights_test.jpg

I have been trying to use a single vertex as a halo for glow and s apotlight with “halo” and a tracking constraint to line up the beams…

My question… does this look right?

Is there a better way of doing this?

Is the beam of light passes across my “nerf bar” on the front of my sub, shouldn’t I see a break in the light? Kinda like playing with a laser in a smoke filled room and running your hand thru the beam???

Should they be stronger or am I close???

Thanks gang… I tried doing a search but got really frustrated trying to find something like this…

Cujo

I would say that your spots look pretty reasonable.

The only thing that stands out to me is your shaders in your materials. They look pretty plain. You might try downloading one of the free materials librarys and messing around with some of the materials settings using one or more of those as a base.

Thanks Death…

Haven’t even really gotten to the textures yet… I want to get the whole model finished and rigged with lights and everything…then I’ll worry about the textures etc…

I am just not sure on the spots…

It seems to me that something is not quite right with them… the roll bar on the front should break up the light or at least cause a shadow… and doesn’t look right…

Maybe I am being WAY too picky…

Anyone else???

Cujo

I didn’t notice it untill you mentioned it. At first I thought the light was on the other side of the bar.

Do you have rayshadow turned on for the light in question?

I’ve noticed that the light will pass through any object as if it wasn’t there unless that is turned on.

Welp, with halo spotlight, you need some volumetric stuff, possibly. Try turning up the Halo Step in the light buttons menu with the halos.

Hello! Do any of you how to reproduce theses light beams in the game engine?

Cheers!

Henry,

You only get “halo step” if you have bufshadow selected… not with Rayshadow…

If I raise the number to anything other than 0, the beam dissapears???

Or are you saying I should adjeust the step in Buf and then switch back to Ray???

[edit] That didn’t work either…

If your beam dissapears, it means that there’s an object “blocking” the light beam. Make sure that the “lens” or the “glass” part of your lamps have a material that don’t cast shadows (desactivating shadowbuf will do it I guess)… This means that the shadow buffer won’t take these objects into consideration when casting shadows…

Another thing, setting halostep to 1 will produce extremely precise “shadows” on the halo, but it will take longer to render, to try if your effect works, just render with halostep set to 12… or 8…

Good Call Fred!

I looked at my “lense” and it did have the shadbuf turned on… I turned that off and adjusted the halo step to 8 and bango! Broken light beams…

Looks pretty close to me… I’ll post up a new image soon…

Thanks!

Cujo

http://www.clintonville.k12.wi.us/misc/lights_02.jpg

Whatya think? It seems the beams are now kinda broken by the crossbars… like wise, I adjusted the position of the sigle vertex halos and adjusted the lenses so that the shadbuf is turned off so the light can now pass thru???

Opinions???

C&C???

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Cujo

In the water environment, it would look great =)

Textures, man textures…

Death…

yes a water environment is a must… I have looked at the “Bongo’s Environment” tutorial and a few others… will start working on the “undersea” look soon…

Thanks mate!

Cujo

http://www.clintonville.k12.wi.us/misc/underwater_try1.jpg

Ok… so my first attempt at making the JSL appear underwater…

Am I anywhere close???

Any crits, please let me know… this is probably going to be the hardest part of this project :stuck_out_tongue:

anyweay thanks for looking and leave your opinions…

Cujo