Light falloff, how?

Hi there, like in the screenshot here

Would like to control the range of my light ( emission in this case ) and affect the object as I want
The closest to the light always be 100%, but would like to decide the range and falloff of the light on the rest of the scene, base on distance I guess.

I tried the Light falloff node, but really doesn’t do what it says.

Is there a way ?
Thank you !

The light falloff node does work but It controls the falloff of each light not the falloff of how a given light effects each object.

It only works in cycles. Cycles can use nodes for lights eevee can not.

Here are 4 cubes with an emission shader, I have marked the light falloff for each. (I also turned off their shadow visibility.

Quadratic:

Linear:

Is there a way ?

Well you could make the materials successively a darker colour.

Hi and thanks, but it’s not what I’m after, my issue is that I want to control the range/falloff of the light affecting objects by their distance.

Yes I thought light falloff node is not what you are after but it does do what it says (for lights, it does nothing in the material shader of a non emissive object).

sorry I do not quite understand what you mean.

Use a texture coordinate node, object output- set the light as the object, multiply this with your shader

Ok, like in the example I posted, the lights affects the cubes almost evenly.
I would like to control the range of light from first cube to last cube, not by increasing the light strength, but the range or falloff, so the first cube will be always 100% and the others gradually less

you mean the shader of the emission ?

texture coordinate> object input > strength emission ? > and the multiply ?

You mean this?
All the cubes have the same default material. The light has the falloff node.

Close but no.
try set the cubes closer like mine, then tweak the light strength… still not working…

Imagine a gradient from white to black, where white is 100% and black is 0%, but with a fixed or more stable gradient by distance… damn it’s hard to explain…

The closer the cubes the lower the light faloff off has to be and the closer the light needs to be to the first cube.

Oh, ok… something like that yes

to change the actual color now ? color ramp in between ? or mix rgb ?

You can plug the light path node into the Strength instead of the colour. It will work the same.

You can even put a colour ramp into the colour of the light with falloff as a factor (constant falloff for this is more controllable.) I used separate falloff nodes so I could change the strength for the colour ramp).

If you set the colour ramp to linear you get gradients between colours.

The falloff does have a circular pattern I adjusted the sliders so you do not see it. Here is what I mean:

Yes, that works at treat, thanks a lot for the explanation too !!!

1 Like