Lightflow / Linux solution?

Greetings!!
can someone point me to a Linux Lightflow solution?
How-to, Docs. I found one but it was Windows geared.
Thanks in advance.

There is information on how to setup Lightflow on Linux in the documentation of the new script, actually even in the old LFPROBLEMS.txt of my stormpages site it is mentioned how to do this. I use it both on windows and Linux. I thought you used POV btw, I wouldn’t really advise switching to LF if you already use that.

Yah I’m getting deeper into POV-RAy. I think a switch or even trying to switch to LF will not be worth it. (well not yet)
THANKS for the Info!!!

Hi…

Just a question… cause I’m curious…

Does this script work only with still images, or you can use it with animations to???

Curious Spyros… :wink:

You mean the Lightflow script or POVanim? Both support animation, you can render the animation directly in Blender with the LF script, but the POVanim script is much easier to get to work…

Hi again…

I meant the Lightflow script… I allready know a few things about POVAnim, not that I had the time to experiment with…

I am curious about the LF script…

So the LF script works with animations…

I don’t want to sound too much annoying, but before I start experimenting with it, I’d also like to ask one more (final… :wink: ) question:

How about textures… Does it work well, with both Blender’s procedural and image textures???

Thanks in advance…

BTW. thanks for your fast reply…

Spyros.

Well, in principle there is no support in Blender’s current Python API to get material texture information, so like every other exporter it only basically supports uv-textures. However, I did create something else that makes it nevertheless possible, I created something that gets all the information from a Blendfile, see this documentation on Blendfile import that is also included with the script:

http://mysite.iptic.com/eeshlo/BFimport.html

As you can see, procedural textures can look quite different, which is no surprise, since to be exactly the same, Lightflow would have to use the exact same algorithms.

[quote=“eeshlo”]

Well, in principle there is no support in Blender’s current Python API to get material texture information, so like every other exporter it only basically supports uv-textures. However, I did create something else that makes it nevertheless possible, I created something that gets all the information from a Blendfile, …[/quote]

Well, I see this is an advantage over the other two candidates (POVAnim and BlenderMan…). I’m gonna try them all very soon… and then I’ll tell you my opinion…

Thanks again eeshlo, you’re a real pro…

Spyros.

I tried out Light Flow with Blender on a Linux box. I got to say this I redid all my .blend files I used with povanim and rendered them with LF. BOY DID they come out better. I think LF stole the show for me. Render times were longer but image came out closer to what I wanted. with minimal changes to blender settings. I will stick with LF. Thanks for the info!!!

Don’t throw away POV yet, it has a lot more features, it can do things Lightflow cannot. But like Lightflow or any other raytracer, you have to learn to use it and get to know all the parameters involved and how to use them before you are able to get the results you want.

I bigening to notice that both Pov and Light Flow are important. With the two great python scripts they seem more a part of Blender.
one thing is that PovRay is still being develope and is widely used and source is available.
I guess I would have Blender, Povray and LightFlow on my table.