Lighting

I have been working on a small graveyard scene since its October and I have assests I am fairly happy with for a beginner.

Lighting the scene is where I am stuck. I want it to be night time and spooky but I cant get the mausoleum lit well. I was also try to have the inside glow like something i happening inside and about to get out, thats why the door glows and there was going to be light spilling from the vents around the top.

1 Like

Hi, try to follow these steps:

1. First of all, turn your World background color all the way down to #000000 (black),
  2. To make your windows emit a glow, you need to apply to those a new material (call it “windows” for example), and switch from the default Principled BSDF shader to the Emission one, set its color and power until the final result will suit you,
  3. To make your mausoleum to be visible, you would need to add a basic light to your scene. A Sun light could be enough for this one,
  4. As for the shadows (if you need ones), you can try to find out about 3 point lighting thing. I’ve attached the video tutorial right down below, take a look:

Here’s also a good tutorial which explains how to add a light to the night scene:

1. As for the vents, you can add the default cube to the scene, change its dimensions so that it fits with same ones your roof has, place it inside in there, add an Emission shader for this one and set its strength up to something circa 3-5 or so.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Sergey

initial lighting

It looks pretty cool. You just need to increase the strength of your light a bit and add it to your windows as well, and you’re good to go.

1 Like

Hello,

It looks awesome! But why did you decide to use exactly pink colors instead of yellow one? I think yellow would’ve suited you a bit better in that case. However, now it looks pretty cool. My only advice: add some stars as well as the moon to your sky, I see that you’re already have something in there like a dust, but it would’ve been better if you add a couple of stars and a moon in there as well.

As for the rest - good work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A little tip for emission, this goes for both environment lighting and light emitting shaders.

Plug in a mix shader node and add a light path node - camera ray as the factor.
Now in the mix node, you can plug into one an emission shader and in the other one what you want the camera to see. It allows you much more control over the lighting.

Works well if you want to make a custom skydome but want to use the reflections and lighting from an HDRI environment texture instead.

Still working on this and adding more elements

Hmm. Too bright. Try higher contrast lighting. Make some parts very dark, and make some brighter, posssibly.

1 Like

Another round another bit of polish

Great work!:fire:

1 Like

I am having issue with the compression or something in my animation render.
The tiles on the roof look like they have waves through them while the camera is moving and there is noise in the fog that shouldnt be there.
Do i just need to crack the Render Samples higher till its gone. Last render was 600 samples.

Yes. That’s definitely a denoising artefact from having too low sample count. A lot of lights and volumetrics can make renders a lot noisier.

The only other option is using a temporal denoiser either inside Blender (I haven’t tried this yet so I don’t know how good it is) or other third party software.

Here’s a temporal denoiser I’ve used before that’s pretty good, but it’s a paid plugin though. https://www.neatvideo.com/

You could also try this blender plugin so you don’t have to use another software. https://www.blendermarket.com/products/turbo-tools-v3---turbo-render-turbo-comp-temporal-stabilizer

Another tip is to turn on animated seed in the render properties so the noise will be different in every frame which will make it less apparent.

I am calling it done

3 Likes