Lights and shadows not acting as expected

Hello,

I am fairly new to Blender, but I am having some issues with my lights and shadows that are giving me a bit of a headache.

I keep getting random dark faces on my objects or else light reflections have sharp distortions from one face to another even if they are almost on the same angle.

Here are a couple screenshots of the preview render. I can’t attach the .blend file cause I’m a newb, but if anyone wants to point me in the right direction I’d deeply appreciate it!

I already tried playing around with smoothing, but my objects start distorting if I smooth too much.

Cheers.

Thanks! that’s awesome. Here is the link: http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=50864

Looks like an imported CAD model. A few parts may survive a simple alt+j followed by a delete/limited dissolve. The rest is a nightmare.

Do you need the top part of the fixture (as in, are you a fixture producer that needs to render out the product)? If not, remake the inside dome curve and spin it for much more useful geometry to work with.

Thanks I’ll see what happens with the Alt+j. Yes I am a fixture manufacturer, so unfortunately I need all the bits.

Sorry to hear it. Uhm, sounded wrong I guess :smiley: I also sometimes have to work with exported CAD models (incl sheet metal parts which is a pain), and I haven’t found an ideal exporter. For me, it helps to suppress anything that bevels stuff and bevel it in Blender instead (possibly even use the bevel node globally).

I only opened the model to confirm my suspicions that this was an export - no regular blender user would model that kind of detail into a “hidden” fixture. I couldn’t check for errors or test render anything as I’m not on a proper computer. Maybe others can give better help, sorry.