Lightwave 2019 released

Quite amazing to see a new release so fast. It’s heading in the right direction, although the Modeler<->Layout split is really holding it back.

2 Likes

One of the best updates in years, it feels like. Finally they start to tackle some long lasting ui/undo & workflow annoyance. I like the openVDB modeling feature. A start in the right direction but it still has the split app workflow that really sucks.

Good for NT. I really mean that. I doubt anyone on this forum is going to pick up a copy… but good for them nonetheless. Unfortunately for NT, they lost me a couple months ago. I’ll still use my Octane LW2015.3 until I am completely migrated to Octane Blender. As a LW user of almost 20 years, I will say this, LW is damn stable… almost never crashes. And it can be quite speedy for setting up scenes and banging out renders… But then it doesn’t do 1/10th of what Blender 2.8 does. But I really do hope they are able to compete and flourish for many years to come.

I’m so used to the unified work environment now so I can’t go back to LW, but I must say that the startup time for VPR is superior to cycles and edit mode in Blender must be the slowest of all 3D apps out there, besides that Blender is fantastic.

1 Like

Crikey, I cant believe thats still going strong, i first tried it out about 20 years ago, and thought it was pretty neat. Shame its out done by blender, and the other big guns. I think i first used it when it was called Imagine 3d on the Amiga which evolved into Lightwave… video toasters anyone??

1 Like

Does any one know if their file format has been updated? I think 2018 jumped from lwo2 to lwo3 is there any increments on that for 2019?

It looks like Newtek has kicked the development rate up a notch, but they are still far enough behind they will really need to produce some outstanding releases to start winning back many of their old users and gain many new ones.

They do get UDIM now though, Blender can have it in the next release too by simply committing a patch already on the developer website.

1 Like

It’s seems that everyone try to release before the blender 2.8
They will be a big fight

2 Likes

I’m happy to see Lightwave still kicking, but I’m not going back – I’m solidly into Blender with both feet and 2.8 is still quite a bit ahead of LW. I had many good years with LW but NewTek blew it for me when they cancelled CORE.

Videoscape.

I only saw Lightwave and never able to use. But this is e very good news loosing an other historical app it would be very sad.