Lightwave 2020 released

actually that is not my perspective on it…part of why I like that bevel tool…for that operation that is, beveling that works across the whole spectrum so to speak is another thing.

But I do absolutely no want to work with two shortcuts and an extra hand each time I perform this operation that I would otherwise do with lightwave bevel with one hand…and no shortcuts…so for me it isn´t acceptable.

The problem with the right click extend, as for working similar to magic bevel, good to know…but not as nearly as good, it needs tapering scaling percentage during the bevels, and also not doing it by clicking extending for each bevel, on smooth mouse move that directs the flow of the bevel…you loose out on both the directional move and the scaling when you just have that option with right click…and then trying to scale for each move.

But yes…some workarounds perhaps, will try it out more though and see if I can find something.
Thanks for tipping anyway Mikael.

Then you have a use for Lw after all. :+1:

Much more than just that…and actually I find more and more of modelling actions…I do not like in blender, which are so much more direct and faster in Lightwave.

The bezier bridge is another one I mentioned before, I tried the carve tool, it´s really cool in it´s own way…and can do much other stuff that bezier bridge can´t of course, but for the particular style of modeling session I sometime need, there is no tool in blender that replaces it…or equals it.

But there are still so much more cool tools in blender, it´s just that some actions are more direct in lightwave…and I feel I can do it faster with better respons there.
Hopefully it may change over time.

Use the right tool for the right task if it saves you time. :+1: (No need to be bound to one particular tool)

Having two systems means more time to learn them, that´s the dilemma for us all using more than one.
So saving time…perhaps…perhaps.

Hmm…why not use the extrude to cursor instead of using two hands?
At least you could skip right mouse button and clicking.

The above is a problem…they started to hide tools in blender 2.8…as such we can not find this tool until checking each expanded tool button, they are not directly exposed and can easy be missed.

Have to add to favourites I guess.

Oh, I see, you have to be AWAY from the Selection – “Extrude To Cursor”, iow. That was not clear.

yes, if using two hands is a problem, sure. I always have one hand on the keyboard so no problem to use both hands for me, it’s quicker for me then try to find a tool in the menu.

Coffe in the left hand :slight_smile: got to rig something for the left foot.

Also just found in the right side bar, mesh tools and select face tools, there we have multi extrude…more options for scaling…but I have yet to find to set it working as scaling down per click, but similar to extrude to cursor but with more options.

if clicking on multiextrude button several times …it will scale down per each click on the button, if you have set a lower scale vale

And changing rotation will make a bend or rotation extrude when clicking multiple times on multiextrude…cool, reminds me of truspace extrusions :slight_smile:
using repeat and You can make multiextrusions without double clicking.

The closest to fertilizer that I have found is the mask modifier. Then of course there are other ways to tackle this with procedural modeling with Sverchok or sorcar that is not possible in LW at all.
You can always save out an Alembic from LW to use in Blender if you need to use a very specific tool.

Yes…I know, I have to look in to sverchok.

Alembic, isn´t mdd better?

Alembic is one file, mdd is several files usually. Alembic is modern, mdd is old. Both works.

Thanks, it works…though initially I got only the lights, forgot to have the object selected appearantly.
And scaling completely of, so I had to adjust the views clipping a lot, will have to check the scaling routines for best workflow.

But a growth test based on fertilizer in lightwave (used weight outwards) and applied fertilizer in layout, and keyframes for the percentage, then saved out to alembic…and growth is working blender as well, but no option of course to control the growth.
But it can be handy…until I have learnt the masking and sverchok.

Simply select a face, then position your mouse, ctrl+right click, (don’t drag), and it will extrude with the centre of the extruded face where the mouse is.

See my reply above.

This is why documentation is hard: you have to cover all the bases of how a user might interact w/the software/hardware, and use extremely clear language. In this case, “Extrude To Cursor”, an actual official Blender term, is clearer than just “Extrude”.

And to add to the topic,
Ryan Roye. who is such a great presenter, he made this Demo overview on Lightwave 2020.
Howver …he doesn´t cover all stuff though, and the first part is also dealing with some stuff in 2019 that he wanted to bring some attention to.

Still nothing in there that changed my mind to upgrade, but a good informative video on what´s going on perhaps.

I am curious. What would it take for you to upgrade? I think I have forgotten. Probably posts days ago you summarized. But I am curious what the features you are waiting for? Is it just NewTek? Or some specific things you were looking for?

GPU and Modeling tools starting to happen In layout.
One of my major dissapointments with rendering in Lightwave today is that I can not use the fiberFX system.
Cycles is so much faster that it makes no sense to use Lightwave for the fiberFX rendering.

And I want a proper sculpting tools that creates new dynatopo, and for that to happen…they need to fix that geo engine in Layout.

Those were the elements I needed to see at least one of them happening.

Please …anyone else…do not answer to this refering to…that will never happen.

There are of course other elements of Newtek management that makes in uncomfortable and unreliable in terms of trust and getting information about what will happen, that plays a part as well.

And there is another factor to consider, that I am without job currently, but even if I had one…I wouldn´t have upgraded anyway just because having a job, together with the rest…it just makes more sense to work more in blender.

1 Like

Got it. Yeah those features and reasoning seem to make sense. I can understand how you would want to continue to use LightWave with more of the feature set you are looking for. And also why Blender is a solution for some of the things you are looking for.

Thanks for the answer.