Lightweight Distros For 12th/13th Gen Intel And Blender?

Hi. I’m not sure if I’ll get 12th gen, 13th gen, or a new amd pc.

Which distroses would you recommend for Blender?
It’d be cool if it’s

• a free one.
  • so, apparently, my Os only has OpenGL 3.3. So I can’t even open Blender 4 Alpha. But my Radeon HD 5770 Gpu should have 4.4. I don’t wanna buy a new gpu, only to find out my Os only allows up to 3.3
  • lightweight: I think Blender’s slower on Ubuntu than my current Zorin Lite Os
  • uses Cpu to its full potential. It sounds like Ubuntu can use all cores/threads, including efficiency cores. Is there a lightweight distros that can do this, too?
  • simple to use. I’m no Linux expert. Whenever something goes wrong, I have to ask on forums when using Terminal.

Or… Should I just use Windows 11? I switched to Ubuntu because I kept having to reinstall Windows (though this was on a previous, really slow laptop). Ps I don’t have windows rn. Guess I’d have to buy a new pc that comes with it.

I gotta say, it seems like Ubuntu is exactly what you’re looking for- GUI, fairly lightweight, modern drivers, and full CPU potential. You don’t need to use the terminal at all. What’s not working for you with Ubuntu?

can even go xubuntu (ubuntu distro with xfce as the window manager) for even slightly more lightweight. though i’ve not tried it with blender

Like i said, I tried a custom renderer (Beer/Malt) on my current Os, Zorin Lite. Very slow, probably wasn’t working properly.
When I tried it on Ubuntu, it was even slower.
I didn’t check the openGL version on Ubuntu tho. Apparently, it’s only 3.3 on Zorin Lite for me, when it could be 4.4

So each of these Ubuntu flavours are lightweight:

• Lubuntu (requires 700MHz single cpu, 512MB Ram, 5GB “memory”)
  • Ubuntu Kylin (pentium or celeron, 512MB ram required)
  • Ubuntu Unity
  • Xubuntu (Intel or Amd 64-bit cpu and 1GB ram required, 2GB recommended)
    https://ubuntu.com/desktop/flavours

These ones have the newer Jammy Jellyfish 22.04.3 Lts (twenty-TWO point oh-four POINT THREE):

• Xubuntu
  • Lubuntu
    Which has the new 6.2 kernel. Which might be better for Intel’s e-cores, I think??? (If anyone can confirm, please provide link).

These have the even newer 23.04 Lunar Lobster (twenty-THREE):

• Xubuntu
  • Lubuntu
  • Unity (it doesn’t say Lunar Lobster, but it says 23.04
  • Kylin (Also doesn’t say Lunar Lobster)

Lubuntu has ! exclamation marks ! warning you to check release notes before installing :confused:

Also, I’m not seeing a 64-bit version for Kylin.
And manuals might be in Chinese for Kylin.

Anyone have any experience using Blender with these?

Does Ubuntu Unity have anything to do with the Unity game engine? If so, maybe its 3d graphics drivers are awesome?

System Requirements for Lightweight Flavorus of Ubuntu:
Kylin: https://www.ubuntukylin.com/application/147-en.html
Xubuntu https://xubuntu.org/requirements/
Lubuntu: https://www.ionos.ca/digitalguide/server/configuration/lubuntu/

i have not tried blender on xubuntu, but i will say it was .much. snappier when i moved it from a pentium to a duo-core (4g ram in both cases)

So I installed Unity Os, Lubuntu and Xubuntu.
(Skipped Kylin cuz it’s not 64-bit afaik, and I don’t know Chinese).
All of them give me OpenGL 4.5! Yay!
And can open Blender Alpha 4 (but with issues. Still a step up from in Zorin Lite 16.3)
Fps playback in Blender 3.6 is all similar.
I haven’t checked Beer/Malt renderer on all 3 OSes tho.

They all have some issues, though:
e.g. Unity Os can’t start up Balena Etcher app image. If that doesn’t work, then what else doesn’t work?
Edit: Someone told me to open the app image in terminal.
Terminal said I needed Fuse, and provided a link.
After carefully installing Fuse, the app image opens now!
(p.s. the link said if u install the older version of Fuse to a newer Ubuntu Os, it can break your system!)
Installing this Os was also wonky. I had to force quit the installer :confused: that wasn’t very reassuring.

Xubuntu keeps having Internal Errors. Sometimes, randomly for no apparent reason. One time, it happened after I unzipped a file :confused:
Much smoother Os installation iirc? I forgot.

Lubuntu, I tried opening a torrent for one of the OS iso images. And it kept saying it was corrupted. But I downloaded all 3 images perfectly fine on Zorin Lite.
And you can’t drag a window to the left or right or to fullscreen. Also, the “upgrader” (which I think is the software updater) is confusing. I’m never sure if everything’s up to date or not.

For now, I guess I’ll just go back and forth between using Unity Os and Xubuntu, keeping my files on my backup Hdd. Hopefully there will be an update soon that will fix the random internal errors. Cuz I don’t wanna

yeah… i’ve had issues with the software updater app before. i just use command line for updating now.

Don’t Blender Studio, etc use Pop OS? If so then one would at least be pretty sure that current and future Blender versions will work with it.

If you use a recent , standard linux version you should be fine in any cases, or I’m completely mistaken.

Linux Mint is a good alternative to Ubuntu, easy to setup and should work fine, that’s what is installed at work and blender runs fine on it.
At home I use debian stable, sometimes testing. It’s simple to use but a bit less user friendly when it comes to setting things up, you’ll probably have to learn a few tips and tricks, basically just like with any OS.

Obviously you should make sure you have official drivers installed , it might not always be the case.
On Debian for instance they don’t come installed by default and you have to do a few operations to make that work.

I think Ubuntu and Mint simplifies this but in any doubt it’s best to double check !

Last thing that is worth paying attention to is the windows manager, I use MATE desktop which is a good compromise between something lightweight and user friendly.
If you are very low on computer specs you might look into XFce which is even lighter, and there are a few other out there. But I’d look into that only if it’s really necessary.

Modern desktop like KDE and Gnome 3 got a lot of fancy eye candies stuff that uses GPU resources and while they provide a fun user experience, I prefer much more the stable and boring UX that Mate provide.

From there, it’s very possible that some distros are slightly more performant, but the time and energy invested in these should really be worth it. It’s useful if you are building a very low spec server but in any case you’ll have to investigate a lot and spend a lot of energy in the process, for nearly no benefits with blender.

2 Likes