Likeness of Ton

Hey everyone! Been a long time unregistered lurker here, but finally posting.
So I tried Blender’s sculpting features and made this portrait… I spent a lot of time on this one. I hope I’ve managed to capture a good likeness of Ton :slight_smile:

I also recorded the whole process and condensed it into this video where I talk about the experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyK9B0Hd_B0

As a new user I can only post one image here, but there are a few more on my artstation:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rJN3kJ

146 Likes

Nice one! I see the resemblance :grinning:

1 Like

Really nice work! :smiley:

1 Like

Just saw your workflow vids yesterday. Very enjoyable. Great stuff. How did you find the sculpting experience vs Zbrush?

2 Likes

@joseph maybe grant him immediate member access for extra renders?

And excellent work of course!

2 Likes

Phenomenal work. :clap:

1 Like

Beautiful work of a very awesome, down to earth and innovative person. Awesome work, mate :+1:

1 Like

Hey! Thanks! I also love your work, I’ve come across it before!
About the experience - overall great. The core tools are all there and feel pretty much the same with subtle differences. With more complex character work I like to use all the expanded functionality in Zbrush to very quickly make things more efficiently. Blender can also do it all, of course (minus the 100m+ meshes that Zbrush can handle effortlessly) just not as fast, in my opinion. I could talk about this alot :slight_smile: Do you think it’d be interesting to make a video on the topic?

7 Likes

Incredible work! It takes a lot of skill to make good looking realistic faces, you’re a great artist.

I’d also love to see a video comparing sculpting in Zbrush and Blender, I’m especially interested to hear your thoughts about major differences in these programs.

3 Likes

Wow amazing work!

2 Likes

Thanks mate. Yes, I’ve dabbled here and there with Blender sculpt, but the performance and switching between modes thing were not ideal for my purposes. And the whole multiresolution thing is a red flag for me too.
Still, I think it’s great when artists at your level show a great workflow and just what Blender is capable of. I’m always interested and hopeful in further evolution of Blender for sculpting workflows. :+1:
I love the way you did the hair. It pains me to go to Maya and use Xgen, but your workflow here is very encouraging. Have you tried out the Medusa Nodes hair addon? It’s actually quite similar to Xgen in a lot of ways, and presented in in simple, clean front end UI.

4 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you, Bart! This is a huge honor!

1 Like

Pretty impressive ! :astonished:

1 Like

Awesome work! :heart:

1 Like

Ton who? I think he also looks like finnish news anchor Jan Andersson :grinning:

This is the best possible tribute to a great person who deserves all our respect and love. :star_struck: I think this is an outstanding job! Take off my hat. :clap:

3 Likes

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Gordon Freeman … the time HL3 is released

2 Likes

Thanks again, Bart! I just also saw last night that Ton has tweeted that he’s seen and liked it and that someone from BA had told him about it. If that was you, thank you!!! Seeing that honestly made my year! I think I’ll print that tweet and put it in an ornate frame to hang on my wall :smiley:

8 Likes