Amy Lillya - Sketchbook

No doubt you will :wink:

Keep up your work ^^ i’m sure you’ll one day be the ‘minuscule’ 2 maker :stuck_out_tongue:
—> in case you dunno it :smiley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZk1tw9m5FE

happy blending !

EDIT: note that minuscule shows no hair nor hairs :joy:

1 Like

Day 12 - Absent

I’ve never enjoyed sculpting stone and rock materials because I always got lost trying to detail it too early and that taking forever, never looking good in the end. For this I kept this gravestone simple and used mostly the scrape brush. I think it worked out in the end :slightly_smiling_face:

3D view on Sketchfab

4 Likes

Well I think you’re doing amazing. I hope I am able to create things like this in 4 to 6 hours sometime haha. Somehow you managed to put an emotional “love me” look on a skeleton cat. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Day 13 - Folklore

It’s the monster Afanc from the Welsh mythology, said to prey on anyone who dare swim in its lake.

I tried to put fur on him, but I think the hair comb system in Blender is way too limited from what I’ve tried, so I gave up in frustration. :slightly_frowning_face:

3D view on Sketchfab

4 Likes

Day 14 - Crystalline

Was very inspired to do this one. Woke up early to make the sketch of him on paper and then went right into sculpting :relieved:. Everytime I make a sketch, even if it’s a very simple one, it always helps me to visualize the major forms of what I’m sculpting. I also look at reference images of course.

January is almost over now, but I’ve decided to complete all the sculpts of the month regardless of the deadline, as a more personal challenge.

3D view on Sketchfab

7 Likes

Day 15 - Furious.

A little while since I posted something, but I haven’t given up yet :grin:

Had some complications with this one. I was going to use vertex paint, but the performance was terrible, so I had to do a retopology to be able to UV unwrap him. Did a quick color painting in Substance Painter because I like its layer system, but I think I could have used Blender to do this task too either way.

I might come back to him to work more on the details and do another render, but I really want to move on for now.

3D view on Sketchfab

7 Likes

Hi, its been some time :wave:
This is the first time I work on a big render project, but I always wanted to make a full scene rather than individual things.

This project started with me playing with the extra objects addon. When I saw the moebius strip math function I thought “what if there was a racing circuit based around a moebius strip?” and then I made this design test:

But I wasn’t happy with the design. The middle tower obstructed too much of the view and the racing track was too simple.
However, I really wanted to continue the project, so I redesigned the circuit, taking a lot of inspiration from the game Trackmania with its crazy racing tracks. The idea is to have a slightly futuristic setting, with remote controlled drones in the race. This is the current progress:

The base scene is almost all modeled, but the rest is still heavily WIP. I want to do a separate render of the racing drones so they’re gonna be pretty much they own project.

4 Likes

nice work for this one-faced mesh :smiley:

I love it !

1 Like

I defined the general lighting of the scene. The middle area of the track, just before the loop, is going to be the focus point of the render, so there’s going to be one more light pointing there when I add the racing drones.

3 Likes

Nice work you have done, thanks for sharing.
The last, your moebius race track reminds me of a woodworking artist, Malcolm Tibbetts, and some of his ribbon work (second piece down).

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s some very impressive art by Malcolm, thanks for sharing.

Also, I think I didn’t make it very clear in my previous post, so just in case to avoid confusion for anyone, the actual track design is NOT a moebius strip. I tried making it one, but the design didn’t read well in the camera perspective, so I settled for a loop instead.

1 Like

Progress update. I’m slowly getting there, but there’s still a lot to do :tired_face:

This project is being one of the most valuable learning experience of Blender that I ever had. I learned various ways to use instances and how to link assets between different scenes, it helps so much with organization as well as performance.

Also here’s a render of the bar inside the stadium. This area is really far away in the render so everything here is super simple.

3 Likes

I couldn’t resist playing with the new Adaptive Sampling feature in Cycles.
Everything is pretty much the same as in the previous Eevee render, except I disabled the volumetric fog for this render and there’s no bloom. I still have to test how well it renders with volume enabled.

These are the settings:
1024 samples; adaptive threshold - 0.05; denoised with the Intel denoiser in compositing.
(All images have jpeg compression)
Total render time: 5min : 57sec

Here’s the same render without denoising. 1024 samples is definitely not enough for a final render.

And at last, here’s the sample count render pass, showing which areas need the most sample amount. I think it looks kinda cool too. :grin:

1 Like

The cartoon models are great, you seem to master this style.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!
I wouldn’t consider myself even close to being a master, thou I’ll definitely go back to making more characters after I’m done with my current project.

Update:
Made some detail assets and started testing the best way to texture the whole scene. Can’t say I’m really happy with this texturing stage, it is taking me forever…

3 Likes

yes, texturing takes ages. Blender is able do do many wonderfull and incredible things but is of no help for fundamental & basic ones ^^

Anyway your time and effort are rewarded by a great result !

Congratz !

And happy blending !

1 Like

While my other projects are going, I made a simple ornamented spear tip sculpt and retopo’d it into a highpoly mesh, just for fun. Maybe I’m weird but I really enjoy the process of doing retopology, it’s a good opportunity to listen to some music and relax a bit.

Also did a quick lowpoly and slapped a metal texture in SP onto it.

Highpoly wireframe

2 Likes

RGB keyboard.

Made a model for sale.

I also used some basic math to make the gradient animated.

Sketchfab

4 Likes

I hate those keybs !

Though i got one :-/

Hopefully, rainbow backlighting can be turned off…

Anyway, yours is nice and appeals fingers for code writing 8-D

congratz and happy blending !

1 Like