Linking a full rigged character in Blender 2.8

Hi, i’m trying to push this workflow a little to reproduce that I can do in maya
actually I cant get the rigging part to work
here is my actual process :

Modeling :

• modeling something,put it in a MOD collection and register in mod.blend

Rigging :

• open a new scene, link mod.blend - MOD collection
  • do object > relation > make proxy
  • create an armature
    -create a rig collection and put armature / MOD collection and MOD proxy in it
  • parent the armature to MOD proxy
  • save as rig.blend

Animation :

• new scene, link rig.blend - RIG collection
  • object > relation > make proxy and select the armature

I can now move the armature but the object isnt affected.
How can I link a rig that link a model ?
thanks

I don’t know about that, I have never tried it, you probably have to make the model a proxy as well ?

I have tried that but without success

Rig have to be in the same file as the model, because you can’t use the armature modifier using an armature that is not there.

I think you are right
that’s a real miss in blender for production pipeline
it’s can fastly increase the amount of work when we have retakes

thanks for your answer

it seems to be possible according to this video

but i cant reproduce it in blender 2.8

1 Like

I didn’t watch the full video, so if I missed something please tell me what moment in the video you had in mind.

In the 8:50 you can see that both the model and the rig are in the same file. in That way, you can link the helicopter in another file, create proxy of its rig and animate it.

In 15:05 he says that the rigger and the moddeler can’t work on the same time at once. That is because it’s all saved in one file. and when one makes changes and save the other one loses his progress.

If you are okay with that then I didn’t understood your problem

hi Jerzy
my bad, I was thinking that the geo was linked and not imported basically in the scene

Hey,

In the last Blender Today live, Pablo and Dalai explained how to link a character with library override, it is very interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

sorry i missed your answer, thank you for the share !