linking IK to bones (2.40)

I’m having trouble figuring out how to set up a rig properly. I can get build the armature, but I can’t figure out how to set up an IK chain for it. (I’m using 2.40, and all the tutorials are for 2.3x, where you add it through the space bar menu)

One other question… is it posible to set limits on the bones (As in how far they can bend in each direction)?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I’m just starting to learn blender…

I just posted a dsicussion on the new system hopefully others will contribute to it. In the meantime you can check out the settings I used.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54728&highlight=

As far as setting up a IKA chain, It’s still the same but there is one button that is new. (ChainLen =). see if it’s set at zero, if it is change it to how many bones are in your chain.

Example: an arm. Your have a bicep bone connected to a forearm bone. That would be 2 for the chain.

to setup the IKA_Solver:

Add a bone at the wrist end of the forearm, this will be the IKA solver. Make sure it’s not parented to any other bone. In Pose mode, select the forearm, then add an IKA solver constraint, in the Ob slot, type in the name of your armature. If you did not change it , then it’s name defaulted to Armature, next in the BO slot, name the controlling bone. (It;s the one you added at the wrist)

Now grab this bone move it, the chain will follow it.

As I understand it (and armatures are frustrating the hell out of me) you no longer need the null bone as an IK solver because you can set the end bone as the solver and set the “use tip” button to make the IK start at the tip of the bone instead of the default root. If your chain is all linked, I think you can leave the Chainlen set to zero since this actually means “all bones in chain” (infinite). Chainlen is there because IK can now propagate through unlinked bones

You can also set targetless IK and Auto IK though I can’t begin to explain the benefits or pitfalls of these.

Now, if only I could get all my bones aligned properly, I’d be so damned happy :-?