Linking, Proxies and Editing

I’m having trouble finding information on a problem and hopefully someone here can help me.

I’m making assets for a Unity engine game in Blender; mechanical characters built from three components: a head, central unit and a legs/wheels/propulsion component. Each part will have it’s own rig, though I have yet to create the rigs as I’m unsure whether or not it’s the right time to do so. I’d like to avoid wasting too much time if I can help it.

As I understand it I can add the files via linking to a new .blend file, then make them proxies. This will prevent me from being able to edit the mesh but will let me edit other things. I have two issues here:

1. Will I be able to create animation sequences with these proxy-linked files? I assume so but then…
  2. If so, should the armature and rig be added to the original file or the proxy? I presume it’d be the original file but I’ve read that I’d have to set which data is restricted but have found no info on how to set this.

I’m assuming that Blender linked files send data only one way, so any changes I make to unrestricted data wouldn’t be reflected on the original file. I’d appreciate any help or tips here as I’ve been searching for info on this for a while without success. Thanks!