Linking y axis information to a geometry node transform

I’ve made a basic animation with geometry transform node to move a object on the y axis 0 to 5m. looks good. But its the parent of other objects that wont follow it, since the node is only a modifier the parent information stays 0,0,0. Is there a way to link the Y axis property on the original object to the modifier? that way the parented object would move with the original object.

You’re seeing the difference between “transformation” and “deformation”. With geometry nodes, the object itself isn’t moving at all (and so has no movement for its children to inherit.) Instead, the vertices of the object are moving inside of the object. That’s “deformation.”

If all you’re doing is moving an object in +Y, and you want children to follow, then the clear thing to do is, don’t do it with geometry nodes; do it with transforms instead.

If you ultimately have something more complex in mind, you can acquire transforms from deformation in a couple of ways. If you have stable topology-- generally speaking, meaning that your object’s vertex count isn’t changing-- then you can vertex parent objects to vertices or to sets of three vertices inside of an object. Or, you can use constraints to acquire transforms, possibly from single vertices in a different object, possibly from one or more vertices that are marked with a vertex group.

You couldn’t link the object’s own Y transform to its deformation. You could link it to the same deformation on some other object. But you wouldn’t want to. If you did that, you’d end up doubling up the movement: it would move in Y from its transforms, and then it’d move in Y again from its geometry nodes.

1 Like

Thanks for your time on the matter. I should rephrase it a bit and also some examples.

I’m using this addon:
Inertial deformer by [Bradley Animation]

This works by giving a object a nice sway back and forth before stopping moving on the y axis. looks good.
Although its working on a geometry node y axis translation so i can’t get other objects to parent to the main object that has inertia applied.

Any way I can link the Y data in the geo node to a new object’s y axis transform?
I could just copy paste each frame’s info from y geo node to a new layer’s y axis that has nothing to do with the geo node. Is there a way to link that info which goes from -6.8m to 0m?

Hope this helps clear up what i want to achieve.

Put an example in here, with test project file also:

project file:

Your file doesn’t work for me, because your node group is linked data rather than packed into the file. But from what you’re showing happen on the video, you can vertex parent the child like I said.

1 Like

thank you @bandages , works perfect huge help appreciate it. only 3rd day on blender so all a bit jarring still.
cheers.

1 Like