linux distro for blender actualy ?

I’m using blender frequently and I want to use it with linux
that version may recommend to the date that works best for stability and acceleration 3d

I’ve tried all popular distributions and they’ve all failed me in various ways. I don’t think you can “go right”.

Ubuntu is popular but the UI is a mess.
Mint is popular but the UI is ugly.
Fedora is somewhat popular and up-to-date but breaks more often than anything I’ve ever used.
Debian is stable but the packages are ancient and installing proprietary software is more of a pain.
OpenSUSE is kind of an allrounder, but it’s quite idiosyncratic.
Arch is something I’m not even going to bother to learn how to install, ain’t nobody got time for that.

Finally, CentOS (the free version of RHEL) is like Fedora but with older and more stable packages. It enjoys some support by professional 3D packages. It’s an operating system for adults. It’s not the cutting edge or the latest-and-greatest. I’m recommending it to you on account of stability and support.

There’s a trillion other Linux distributions and variations on distributions with different desktop environments. If you have nothing better to do with your life, you can try fucking around with those. Otherwise, you should go with something popular, or else you will have trouble googling out how to solve problems.

Hi, I am with BB more or less.
I am Opensuse user since 20 years and tried many other Distros over the years but come back to Suse every time.
It has the best hardware recognition in my opinion and up to date driver and software.
The configuration tool Yast help you to manage your system with software, hardware, partition, network management at one place.
Most Distros have live systems without installation but you have to install Suse for testing.
I would make a partition for linux or use a second hardisk and start testing.

Cheers, mib

Been using Arch for the past 3 - 4 years and rarely any problems. Never any unfixable.

I was a real fan of Fedora, but it got to the point where being on the bleeding edge was too much. Even though I don’t care for Debian very much I went with Linux Mint and have been happy for about 4 or 5 years. Updates are easy, I have never had an issue with hardware not being recognized (even newer hardware) and it’s real stable.

If you go with CentOS, you can also install Resolve for editing and color. Might be something to consider.

I’m a fan of Mint, especially for Linux newbies. The forums and IRC are very helpful and tolerant. I was a Mint user for 5 -6 years, until I outgrew it.

Hi.
Linux Mint, Ubuntu family (LTS versions), OpenSuse, Fedora…

All of them can work in Live mode, so you can try different desktops/environments that way.

OpenSUSE - gnome out of necessity in a way. Many distros have a problem with a Intel i7 6th gen CPU it seems and the workaround did not work for me since I’m not much in the terminal. Anyway OpenSUSE gnome does not have that particular problem and I’ve been a lot happier then with Windows 10. And, Blender, GIMP, Inkscape are running great.

It’s the biggest pro and the biggest con at the same time. If you learn how to do something the “YaST way”, you don’t get to understand the underlying systems (and SuSE-specific adaptations), so you’re lost if you ever move to another Linux distribution.

I forgot to mention Opensuse is the only distribution you can “buy” for about 50€.
The software is free but you get a 400 page manual from beginner to experienced usage of this distribution.
Another unique tool is snapper, a recovery tool on a hourly, daily, monthly … base.
You can recover the whole system from yesterday or a single file from last year, it is based on the Suse Enterprise Server.
I am not sure if this available at other distributions, it is based on Btrfs file system.

@BeerBaron, yes and no. :slight_smile:

CHeers, mib