Little differences

Over the last week I have really started noticing differences in Blender platforms.

I technically started learning Blender in windows. Even though I had a copy on my Linux laptop, I never really used it because of how little power it had. I recently purchased a new, better laptop, still running Linux as I like to have one Linux OS running… I started with a fresh install of Blender, all fresh add-ons, bla bla bla.

I start a new project, and notice some things are not working the same. Hmmm, What did I mess up installing?

After some research, it turns out Linux uses some hotkeys that Blender uses and I need to change them. LOL. I had never noticed that before.

Now to decide which version of Blender to run… I like 4 but still waiting for some add-ons to update to fully switch on my main machine… however on my laptop I think I can install most everything except a few needed for character import. Maybe just use it for modeling.

Anyway… Happy new year everyone. Hope it’s a Great one!

1 Like

Hi.

Blender should not have a clear difference in quality between Windows and Linux (outside of minor performance variations due to the nature of the compilers used). If there is an increasing discrepancy though (to the point where certain features feel exclusive), then that is something the devs. need to look at and fix.

In fact, the only platform where the quality of your Blender experience should be in a bit of a flux is Apple (due to Metal not supporting an optimal implementation of a number of features).

I think it’s mostly ALT+Click hotkeys that are often used in linux distros, so selecting edge loops for instance doesn’t work right of the bat.
Beside that it shouldn’t make any differences indeed.

Also it’s possible to change these hotkeys but IIRC it’s not as straightforward as it might seems…

Yep… That was one thing I had to adjust.

I also noticed that a file I copied from windows to linux seem to have some shaders missing. Well, they are there, installed and working from a “new” file… However they are missing in the file that was transferred. I can open another shader however it is still red until I delete the imported one.

Once deleted, I can add that shader again however all my settings are gone. :frowning:

Window/focus management is different on MacOS too, 2-window lay-outs are still pretty borked because the window focus does not follow the mouse cursor to the second display. You need to click the header of the second window before it can receive shortcuts…