Living Mechanics

After reading about that real life mech logging thing, i have been inspired! chances are that i am not going to submit though, but i will experiment w/ armatures :smiley:

Thanks

Should creatures from standard mythology be allowed, i.e. Mechanical Manticore, Mech Dragon a la The Hunt? I think so, but I just wanted to be clear before I invested the timeā€¦

I already answered that:

Martin

Can we make something thatā€™s on wheels, even if the real creature doesnā€™t have them?

Also, are we allowed to use the monkey head? :slight_smile: Iā€™m not using it, just want to make sure.

yes, of course, you donā€™t have to stick 100% to what the creature looks like. But wheels are easy to do, so youā€™ll probably wonā€™t win the technical award with that (unless you do some really funky stuff with them, like automatic wheel rotation, that kind of stuff)

Also, are we allowed to use the monkey head? :slight_smile: Iā€™m not using it, just want to make sure.

No, you are not allowed to use the monkey head in your creature (you could use it in the surroundings though).

Martin

hey theeth, i was just wonderingā€¦ what if two people submit the same thing? would that mean some major (or even minor would kinda suck) loss in originality points? oh, and iā€™m not sure if this was already asked but will the submissions by teams be judged seperately from the individual efforts? or will they all be looked at together keeping in mind who was alone and who was in a group?

by the way, there is a mechwarrior that looks like a giant chicken with rocke-- well actually, it doesnā€™t but i call it the chicken mech (then i blow up itā€™s legs!). seriously, anyone know what iā€™m talking about? i think the mechā€™s name is Strider. itā€™s practically just a cockpit mounted on two big olā€™ chicken legs. well, i guess iā€™m just rambling on taking up your time so iā€™ll stop this madnes by sayingā€¦ sorry about that, please continue with your lives without wanting to kill me. :wink:

points are allocated by the community (like the F1 Challenge), so it would really depend on the person that is voting.

oh, and iā€™m not sure if this was already asked but will the submissions by teams be judged seperately from the individual efforts? or will they all be looked at together keeping in mind who was alone and who was in a group?

I guess that would depend on how much group entry there is, and if their overall quality would really make them stand all on top of the ā€œaloneā€ entries. Then it would be a good idea to separate them, otherwise, I think one group is enough.

by the way, there is a mechwarrior that looks like a giant chicken with rocke-- well actually, it doesnā€™t but i call it the chicken mech (then i blow up itā€™s legs!). seriously, anyone know what iā€™m talking about? i think the mechā€™s name is Strider. itā€™s practically just a cockpit mounted on two big olā€™ chicken legs. well, i guess iā€™m just rambling on taking up your time so iā€™ll stop this madnes by sayingā€¦ sorry about that, please continue with your lives without wanting to kill me. :wink:

heheheh

Martin

I do not know how the f1 challenge was voted, but please letĀ“s not do it the way the weekend challenge is voted. The weekend challenge forces the voter to behave in a ā€˜second place counts nothingā€™ way.

Rather do something like 3 points for the first choice 2 for the second and 1 for the third. It would be easy to make a form that does not allow multiple votes for one picture. That would provide more freedom.

But the idea is very nice

I like mechas

why?

HH

I agree, the Week End challenge voting system is not really appropriate for a contest of that scale. The F1 challenge works like that: You have 10 points to assign, and you assign them in anyway you want to any entry you want (you can assign more than 1 point to one entry). I was more thinking of a rating system though. You judge any number of entries you want, and you judge them each on several criteria, on a 1 to 10 scale. The results are drawn from the average.

doh! I meanā€™t ā€œshouldnā€™tā€, of course!

Martin

And I thought there was some sort of hidden message in it :frowning:

sniff

well, i think we should split it in ā€œpure blender+texturesā€ and
ā€œnot pure blenderā€

whatā€™s up with the deadline? is it still one month? or streeaached.
Iā€™ve only got a leg modelled so far.

The deadline is September the 30th.

Martin

woohoo! :smiley:
thatā€™s great since i havenā€™t even startedā€¦ i think iā€™ve almost made my decision as to what iā€™m gonna do. then iā€™ll start sketches

Oh coolnessā€¦ I am very tempted to enter too now!

Everything has to be modeled in blender? DOH!!! I guess I am out then. :frowning:

no, not everything, but Blender has to be involved in a major part of the modelling process.

Martin

SWEET!!! :smiley:

does the scene have to be rendered in blender or can an external renderer be used?

1 You can render in an external renderer, but Blender must be involved in the modelling process.

Martin

does it have to all be one creature? for example, if I wanted to make a mech man on a mech horse, could i do that?
and for the armature rigging, does it have to be ik, or can it just be ā€œdumbā€ fk?