Localizing detail in a car body without puckering..

Hey guys,

I did just read the recent “Advanced modeling question” thread that basically pertains to what I’m asking, but it didn’t seem to work too well in my situation. I’m trying to come up with a better workflow for localizing detail in meshes, such as not only cutting a hole for a fuel door in a car body, for example, but having both the hole and the door (once sub-surfaced) fit the precise shape of the blueprint (meaning extra edge loops to control sub-surfacing’s tendency to make squares circular).

In the puckerWire.jpg image, I have the fuel door hole made surrounding faces extruded inward so that edgeloops don’t have to run the entire length of the car body which would obviously add unnecessary faces and complicate later modeling and neatness. But, as you can see in the second pic, pucker1.jpg, the way I’ve done it leads to puckering and flaws that’d make for ugly renders. I tried applying the retopo tool ideas I saw in the movie linked in the “Advanced modeling question” thread, but I couldn’t seem to adapt it to my situation.

Thanks, guys.

Attachments

I know there are tons of people with more advanced techniques than me, are they just laughing at my inadequacy and closing the thread? :slight_smile:

Hmm. Have you tried disconnecting the fuel tank door from the rest of the body? Then you may not need the extra geometry.

Also, a good source on subsurf can be found at the poles and loops sticky. Don’t read all the comments, but the first 3 or so pages have some good info.

As you can see in the image, the fuel door is disconnected, and the extra geometry is needed on both the door and car body so that they match when the door becomes an individual object.

Hi,

You seem to be most of the way there. Good model.

Have a look at rogper’s thread:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113427

Also the following is mine of info:
http://www.lightwiki.com/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling_Part_Two

Hope this helps?

Kindest Regards,

PIxeltwister

Those were pretty helpful, thanks. I’ve gotten to the point where this one’s too much of a guessing game given the low-res blueprints I have, do you know of a place to get high-res stuff? And by that I don’t mean the-blueprints.com or Scratch Made Cars.

Nice work riddler,

I have been trying to devise a way of adding extra detail without creating extra geometry across my whole mesh this looks like a great way to do that thanks :eyebrowlift:
Did you create the extra quad by just deleting the face and extruding some vertices’s into the middle of where the face used to be and filling from there?

I also seem to be having trouble getting good blueprints, I’ll let you know if I find a good site for them.

Happy Blendering :cool: