Lofi Underwater Wallpaper

So there’s a specific style that I really enjoy that exudes a very relaxing feeling. I don’t know the exact terminology for it but if anyone else does let me know. It pretty much consists of cell shading and Japanese aesthetics and can occasionally be underwater (as shown here). I tried my best to come up with my own version of one of these scenes because I needed a new phone wallpaper and this is my result.

Blender has a lot more potential than I never knew when it comes to making cartoon style renders.

Hope you enjoy!

20 Likes

this looks so good! i like the art style.

1 Like

Thank you!

Here it is without borders since I had some people asking for that.

1 Like

The cell shading looks very nice. And I like the model you created specifically to fit as a phone wallpaper - that is a great idea for a project.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

This is outstanding!!! I’m really interested in how to replicate this art style in Blender and i’m brand new so i’d love some tips. Is everything done in Blender? How do you get this 2D look? Do you draw in the fine details with grease pencil? Would love some help or a some references you find helpful. Have a good one!

Hello! This was all done in blender and I didn’t touch the grease pencil (it scares me). You can do toon shaders and you can also use emission shaders that fake shadows by guessing darker areas on the mesh. I’m fairly certain this is what I did for most of this scene. A lot of the shadows are fake and most if not all the objects have an emission material. You can also use the “freestyle” option under the render settings to draw an outline on all the meshes.

Here’s a tutorial if you want to watch something similar to this style being made.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply and the video you linked. This is all so new to me and the help is really appreciated. I can’t believe you get get something so detailed and shaded looking in 2d… I tried messing around on my own and my own projects are just missing that extra detail and look and you nailed it here perfectly. I love tis aesthetic so much, i’m a big fan. Please make more. I’ll try to learn and make some of my own!

Take your time and you’ll figure out the software more and more. I’m working on a short film right now but I really love making this style image and I’ll be back to it again for sure. Happy blendering :slight_smile: