Long time Maya user testing blender, a couple questions

Hi guys,

I am giving Blender 2.8 a try and loving it so far. But I encountered some weird bugs with the interface and workflow so far that I just wanted to see if I am doing something wrong.

-What is a good way to group objects and move/scale/rotate the group. So far the closest I could find is do a select all from the collection and change up pivots and such to get that behavior and it is taking a long time everytime I want to do that. Is there a maya groups equivalent in Blender?

-I am having a lot of trouble with deleting things in the outliner (?) , it says delete is backspace in the shortcuts but it works once every blue moon. It doesnā€™t work with all selected so I have to keep selecting things again and doing right click > delete. Is that a known bug?

-is there a way to lock the camera view so I can position the camera with the viewport navigation shortcuts? It keeps kicking me out to perspective view when I try it. (edit found out the lock to view checkbox in the sidebar which solves this woop :slight_smile: )

Thanks so much for any help!

Hi @Keyframe_L!

IĀ“m not sure IĀ“m the most qualified person to answer your questions since IĀ“m still kinda using ver. 2.79 but IĀ“ll try my best to help you out regarding your questionsā€¦

1. You can group several objects by hitting ctrl + j (but keep in mind that this will make the objects to behave as one object with one pivot point). You then need to switch back to object mode and go to object/select/click on ā€œObjectā€ tab (top left corner) and select ā€œSet Origin to Geometryā€ so it will move/set the pivot point of the group to the median point". After You are done with transforming you still can ungroup several object, however by hitting p (while being in the edit mode of one object) and then selecting ā€œSeparate Selectionā€. However, there is a new feature in 2.8 which allows you to edit more than just one object at given time, so maybe it would be best to transform object this way (at least if its about scaling).

2. To delete object you no longer need simply select it and hit X on your keyboard (the backspace key is not the key which is meant to delete thingsā€¦but I think you can customize blender operations/commands, so you can exchange the ā€œdelete commandā€ from X to backspace key"

3. Yes you can lock to camera view. :smiley: The options is just a bit ā€œhiddenā€ in the UI. Hit N (which will open the panel and then hover over to view. There you should find the option ā€œLock Camera to Viewā€ with an eyedropper tool to select the object you would want your camera to move around. Take a look hereā€¦

I hope I could answer your questions adequately! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi

@Polygon_Addict you were faster than me :slight_smile:

1. someone else should answer, i dont know maya

2. Edit > Preferences > Keymap > Outliner > Add New > object.delete > deselect ā€˜Confirmā€™ > assign to ā€˜Back Spaceā€™ (or what u want)

delete-outliner

now you can delete objects with ā€˜Back Spaceā€™ inside the ā€˜Outlinerā€™ as expected

1. ā€˜ctrl + alt + numpad 0ā€™ is also useful, the camera jumps to the current view
1 Like

Closest thing to the maya groups is to create an empty, select all your objects, shift select the empty and hit ctrl-p. Also, you dont necessarily need to move your pivot, you can set it to use either median pivots or the 3D cursor as a pivot.

Thank you guys so much for the help!

Yeah ā€œhardā€ group system in Blender is not that great (yet) but other than solutions mentioned up there you could also give a try to this addon GroupPro, group instances made easy
It basically does what you want, only thing is that it is paid one.

1 Like

Just parent things to an empty/null.

just navigate your viewport then from the viewport header menus navigate to view > align view > Align active camera to view

bonus points for assigning a short cut to the menu item, or possibly adding it to quick favorites if you prefer. Either ways, just right click on that menu item.

If you wanna have groups working exactly as in maya try out my old addon from here:
https://bitbucket.org/Lutojar/asblendertools/src/master/
just download as_group_parent.py and install it into a blender
it does everything you expect with origin and more

one problem i didnā€™t tested it with 2.8 but it doesnā€™t use anything special

This actually works the way of that parental system and it is a easier (nice addon by the way). But it needs to be ported to 2.8 (doesnā€™T work there just tested it). In 2.79 it does work smoothly.

itā€™s a pity iā€™ll try to port it over 2.8 soon

1 Like

Looking forward to that asknarin. :slight_smile:

I wrote this plugin a while back to emulate Mayaā€™s grouping.

I have not tested it under 2.80 yet, but it might work for you.