Looking for a mentor!

Hi, my name is John and I’m a senior in high school. I have to do a senior project which I will be working on most of my senior year and I am required to have a mentor. The problem is that I’m having a bit of trouble finding a mentor so I’m hoping that someone here can mentor me.

A bit of info on the mentor part:

• I do not have to meet up with my mentor.
  • Must be experienced with Blender.
  • The person mentoring me has to be able to provide advice and guidance with my project.
  • Mentor has to be able to teach me about Blender (don’t have to make up lessons or anything, just point me in the right direction).
  • Can’t be someone who’s busy all the time.
  • I live in Washington so time zones have to be taken into account.

As for the project, well… I’m not exactly sure what I want to make. I’ve thought about making a short animation, but I’m not sure how much experience I would need to have. I am required to spend a minimum of 40 hours on my project so whatever you think I can learn in that time period will be fine. However, I do not have any problem spending more than 40 hours on this project and I’m open to suggestions as to what I can do for my final product.

My personal experience in Blender is small. I am working on tutorials from the Noob to Pro wikibook (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro) and I have finished the simple vehicle tutorial.

If you’re interested in mentoring me shoot me a PM and we can work out some finer details.

Thanks and I know that this is a pretty big request. :slight_smile:

How much will you pay the mentor. We (I) won’t do this for free :wink:

Well, this isn’t exactly what you want, but this forum exists partly for the purposes of “mentoring.” You ask questions and we answer them.

this is true

there are more than a number of people that are happy to offer you help, but I doubt any one person has the time to “mentor” you in the way that your school requires

these forums are about lots of people lending a hand
so ask your school if the “the blender community” will count as a mentor

then whatever doesn’t make sense - ask here and we can all point you in the right direction with advice, tutorials etc

but even if your school says that this doesn’t qualify as mentorship
you can still try to find a mentor as well as asking your questions here

Believe me, if I could simply write down the Blender community as my mentor and pull all the knowledge I could off of the internet and these forums I would. Unfortunately, I can only have one person as a mentor.

I also don’t have any money to spend. Sorry Doggie_B. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like you’re in the same miserable boat I was in just recently, but you’re luckier. Where I am, it’s 60 hours minimum (which isn’t much when working on a film project or something, but still).

Also, since you’re just a beginner in Blender, you can far more easily think of something to do that will challenge you, which will make it way easier to get your project approved, if the requirements in your school are anything like the list my school has piled up.

Don’t you just love the fact that if you don’t waste most of your senior year doing this project that’s completely irrelevant to your education, you’ll fail high school regardless of how good your actual grades are?

Don’t be discouraged. Why don’t you buddy up with another classmate or a friend and work on this together. Someone else who is in school will be able to give you more time for this. All the Best! :slight_smile:

Yeah, it kind of does. Although, I was sort of looking forward to this since making a short animation seemed fun, but it’s going to suck if I can’t find a mentor since I’ll have to do something I have no interest in.

Hey John, what part of Washington are you in?

I live in Lynnwood.

Why don’t you buddy up with another classmate or a friend and work on this together.

Unfortunately, you have to find someone who works professionally in the field of your project, in this case 3D. :frowning:

His requirements might be different though…

I feel for you man, I would love to help, but I simply do not have the time. You could try a local university. Maybe focus on finding an art director instead of a blender master. Your project can and should be on the animation process and principles, not the software. So you can still use us for help, but also a mentor for artistic direction:D

Unfortunately, I’m only 7 weeks into Blender otherwise I’d happily help you out. But maybe I can give a suggestion. With at least 20 weeks left maybe an experienced user can block out 2 hours a week to answer question and point you in the right direction. In between those meeting you could use the forum and tutorials to move you along.

An hour of that week could even be used responding to your email questions and I’m assuming following up with your instuctor.

In regards to pay; if you could work that out that may help your case. Otherwise, the mentor may be able to claim the hours spent on their taxes if the instructor or someone provides some type of receipt.

Anyway, good luck my friend.

Just shot you a PM, John. Hope this position is still open!

Id love to be a mentor but i don’t have super awesome skills with blender. this is some of my things:
http://perpendiclar.tumblr.com
If you think its good enough to qualify me to be a mentor ill do it. also, I’m swedish and i live in sweden so that might be a problem.

I’d like to say thanks to everyone who took the time to respond or offered a helping hand, but I’ve decided to work on another subject for my senior project. Finding an animation mentor is just too difficult and I’m running out of time.

I’ll still continue to learn Blender in my spare time, it’s just that I won’t be doing it as a project anymore.

Thanks again everyone. :smiley:

No worries. I had my sleeves rolled, my vacation on hold, and gas in the SUV simply to drive up to you and help you. But then I got this, so . . . sleeves down, plans changed. Ah well . . .