Looking for Advice for A Better Workflow

This might be more on the coding logic side of things I can’t help but I feel like I’m being inconvenienced.
For example, I tried to unsubdivided a line. I had to delete it instead because there was another bigger one behind it. I try to make a UV map and I either need more seams or less and it’s never clear. I use CTRL+L while selecting faces. The seams are visibly not separated and when I check if they are linked they aren’t.

But my method for modeling was basically just the normal scaling/extrude and then sometimes I would delete a face then go into selecting vertices and making new faces from deleted ones for a different geometry. Then knifing and subdividing to get more quads.

But then later when there’s more to the model the “New face from Edge/Vertices” command might accidentally add vertices nearby I don’t want when all I want is to make a simple quad.

The only modifier I used was the mirror and then I got rid of it and symmetrized the mesh. I want to symmetrize the seams I make after but somehow I can’t figure that one out.

I’m in the middle of making seams and my model and somehow the mirror command was still on. I was in the middle of giving up and found my problem.

So should I try for no modifiers to model semi-cartoonish caricatures, then symmetrize later knowing I would avoid trouble and Mirroring? Because the only issue I see is clipping but adding that layer of symmetry to the mesh can vouch for that.

Another note. Texture Painting this guy is borderline impossible. I made a texture in another program to avoid all the static pixels when painting. Is it just my computer’s poor performance? Is it because it’s linked to saving on an online storage service? Is it because I tried smart UV to begin with? To me, I feel like Blender is overstaying its welcome with that additional option of painting a non-preset surface. I wish there were more solutions and I like the program. It’s frustrating to me it just adds up to giving me more stuff to do.

There’s this playlist about production modeling where a lot of problems are covered. I believe you can get some insights from it. Isn’t Blender, but you can follow along.

1 Like