Looking for high quality and realistic velvet PBR or procedural texture for my new project

Hi,

I would be very happy and thankful if you point one. I did some search on a velvet texture for my new project but surprisingly couldn’t find anything suitable or nearly at all. There are few available at poliigon but the quality somehow lacks for me. I don’t mind paying for it as long as it’s of high quality and realistic.

Thanks!

Look at this:

and this:

And in near future (1 or 2 weeks later) will come more realistic versions. Velvet material is based on shader, not based on texture. Texture is only %30-40 of this material setup.

1 Like

Many thanks but I don’t need whole lot jus ta velvet.

there is a velvet node in cycles !
did you try it ?

there is some way to use the PBR node to make velvet but not easy to get nice results !

happy bl

I found one tutorial although velvet needs further improvements in my opinion. Having said that it’s a solid start.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSSkxiqenRQ&t=481s

Do you have any specific node in mind? Willing to share ?

Thanks

there were some sofas made with this node and rope

see this one here just use a simple velvet node

happy bl

1 Like

I have managed to get some first results. What are your thoughts?

This is my second try with some connecting texture with normal map into Principled BSDF. There is more depth to the texture in my opinion although I need some little tiny velvet hair that fury look which you find when you look from close.

2 Likes

it looks velvet
may not be the best but still nice

try to search web for blender velvet might find
also this big thread like 50 pages

i’m certain there are many cloth including velvet has been discussed some where in there

happy bl

We can sorta kinda (but not really, because it’s expensive), do something that resembles nap direction, useful for fabrics like velour and some velvets. I’m currently only playing around with it, but the basic idea is something like this - into a shader mix:
Combine XYZ [0.5, 0.3, 1.0] -> Normal Map -> Bright Diffuse
Combine XYZ [0.5, 0.7, 1.0] -> Normal Map -> Darker Diffuse
Pull the terminator with terminator adjustment.
Make a UV layout that aligns to nap direction.
Make sure there is enough geometry using subdiv. Adaptive subdiv may be needed.
Can use a similar approach on anisotropy shaders to create nap based color shifts in silk and so on, but it more sensitive to terminator issues.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Would it be much to ask if could attach node arrangement screenshot for me please? It would make things clearer for me. Thanks.

Something like this for anisotropic shader.

The backface normal = frontface normal stuff is only needed if you have thin geometry like a curtain, and want the same effect on both sides as if it had thickness. Otherwise, just plug the CombineXYZ nodes directly into each normal map. Try also with velvet shaders, although diffuse shaders work best with terminator adjustment (properties/object tab/shading). To best see the effect, render with a single point light source to see how the color shift. Here I’m using color shift, but some napped fabric only has two different shades of the same color. Like velour, going dark in one direction and bright if you turn it upside down (depending on light direction). Be sure to have enough geometry, like use adaptive subdivision.

2 Likes

Many thanks Carl. It’s bit of learning curve for me to be honest. Stay with me :slight_smile: I am trying to understand underlying principle of where I should I take it from here. So this anisotropic shader should probably go into another mix shader and in the same mix shader should go my velvet node group and the last mix shader node goes to material output? Short version would be I use mix shader to mix anisotropic shader and velvet one and it goes to material output?

Using multicolored anisotropics create more of a silk sheen, although I don’t know how napped direction affect this. But napped direction affect materials like velour. But yes, should try using diffuse and possibly velvet with similar setups and mix them together. You can’t really make a material and say “this is fabric/velvet”, because it comes in so many flavors and varieties, how it’s been treated during production and so on.
This is just a hack to kind of simulate nap direction, lacking a proper shader type that can do it properly, and its very expensive due to requiring a lot of geometry. Shouldn’t have to be this way. It depends what you want, you may be able to get a velvety look without bothering with all of this in the first place.
But I recommend watching the experts, in this case look up sewing channels on youtube. And if you were to do metal, look up machinists channels.

1 Like

Thanks Carl for your input. I am aware there are many variations to velvet and they may differ by quite a bit. That’s fine you earn for a living by making certain things on Blender however at the moment I only need a couple variations of Velvet which probably be a big job for you. I may get something from poliigon that already exists and try to improve somewhat.
Best of luck!

Keep in mind velvet has been done before to an adequate effect. This bright/dark nap direction stuff is just something new based on shifting the terminator to hide the bad stuff that’s happening. That on it’s own may be something you consider “unrealistic”.

1 Like