looking for Sunflow ported for Windows

When you launch via the command line, you may see some Java exceptions begin thrown. Those might give us a hint as to what is going wrong.

Yup

I get this:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sunflow/jar

As for the HDR image, I think it is in the correct relative path (a data folder in the directory from which the scene file is run). I could edit the scene file to check I suppose…

Thanks,

Koba

Make sure you are typing the command line from the directory where you unzipped the jar file. If you are, type

java -version

and make sure it says something like:

java version "1.5.0_05"

(version must be 1.5 or higher)

Ok. I’m afraid Java is not my thing which is why I followed the readme provided exactly - hence my problem. I figured out that I am meant to use:

java -jar -Xmx512M sunflow.jar

Whereas in the Readme, the “-jar” flag has been left out.

Anyhow, the dof scene now works which is great. I figure I’ll get the HDR one working soon enough.

Koba

You are correct. I’ve corrected the readme for the next release.

Ok…I’ve also got the alien HDR scene to work - it seems that the relative path in the scene file is relative to the directory from which sunflow is run.

Now it all works, I must say that I really like the progressive rendering and the rendering of buckets. I have noticed that progressive rendering doesn’t result in the same final render quality as “Render” which is a real shame - otherwise I would say that Sunflow is well worth having if you want to see raytracing results quickly.

Koba

is there sunflow for mac? i really cannot compile anything :expressionless:

It’s already compiled. It should work anywhere where Java is installed.

It’s already compiled. It should work anywhere where Java is installed.[/quote]

you need at least mac os 10.4 and java 1.5

Is there a chance to compile it into windows native binary with GCJ?

I’ve tried this at various points in the GCJ development and the resulting executable has always been slower than the latest Sun JVM. You are welcome to try again but you will need to dig into the sources and comment out code from unsupported Java API calls.