Loop cut won't cut quads sometimes?

Hi guys please help me, I made an account just to ask this question because I can’t find answers and I’m desperate! I’m trying to loopcut this highlighted face but it won’t cut the full face, just one side of it. I want to cut it horizontally on the face, like I drew in the image (in blue).

I don’t get how it won’t register the face as quads because I was able to loopcut the other half of this object (it was originally one object and I bisected it and then filled the holes to create 2 of the same objects), so the faces of both objects should be identical.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d really appreciate it! I’m just trying to cut that long face horizontally. I tried bisecting it but it didn’t work - although, I might be doing it wrong.

Thank you!!!

It doesn’t appear to be a quad. Rather, that appears to be an NGon, and loop cut only goes through quads. To fix it so you can loop cut around, I’d delete the face you have selected, then select everything and remove doubles. After that I would select the bottom (or top, it doesn’t really matter) edge and hit F a few times. It should start making faces for you. If it works, continue until the whole end is filled. After that you’ll have quads that you should be able to loop cut through. It’s hard to tell with the cropped screenshot, but it looks like the far end of the object has the same issue. If it didn’t, that single yellow line you’ve got would at least loop around that end, in more of a U shape.

That is not a qaud, it is an NGon (has more than 4 verts.)

Ngons break edge loops so loop cut will not do it.

You can join (with J ) 4 vertexes (first join 2 then the other 2) to make a qaud that continues the loop then loop cut.

You are in face select mode change to vertex mode to join the vertexes.

Also looks like you might have to do the same on the other side too.

Thank you! I still am not sure why I couldn’t loopcut that face but I could loopcut this face,

but I was still able to solve my issue by doing what you suggested and removing doubles + adding the faces one by one. Thanks!!

1 Like

Thank you!!!