Lounge Room at 10,000 samples, 24 hrs

Very clean render from 10,000 samples of finished work over at the Architecture Academy.
If I had to do it again, I would change a few things, ceiling maybe would be more tiled.
Crits welcome.

Background pic looks stretched… also washed out compared to the rest of the image.
tree in the corner looks pretty flat in terms of leaf colour

same book on the book shelf (4th row from the top, 1st column and 3rd column)
floor a bit too glossy
ceiling not sure what texture it is…

could use a bit of a grade to make it punchier

also definetly doesnt need 10,000 samples to make it clean.

Too big scaled outside image. I would add more light, but overall very decent render. Ceiling is funny indeed :slight_smile:

Ceiling is not sitting right with me

You’re right on. I was using an HDRi and this was the only one I could find with leaves, but I was not happy with
the scale or sharpness of the image. It was one of those, ‘Okay, we’ll do with this and move on’ things.

same book on the book shelf (4th row from the top, 1st column and 3rd column)
floor a bit too glossy
ceiling not sure what texture it is…

yep, didn’t pay attention to that.
I’m maybe gonna not go along with the glossy floor part, some floors are pretty glossy. One can get all kinds.
The ceiling is a concrete texture, but scaling not right so it looks weird, right you are.

could use a bit of a grade to make it punchier

also definetly doesnt need 10,000 samples to make it clean.

I agree, I was afraid it might be too dark, although I was trying to get that ‘in the woods’ kind of shaded room, so not sure how much
punch to add here.
As for samples, I thought 1000 was not enough, so let’s just try 10,000 and be sure.

I may do refinements or just move on to the next level and this time try RayPump.
0.99 per hr is a reasonable price.

Aside from the previous comments, I’d still point out two issues with the floor. You have a tiling issue with your floor texture, there’s a seam visible right below the table. Are you using a tiling texture? Also the borders between floorboards have something wrong with them, they look… wavy? This is only apparent when you view the full resolution image, and it’s most noticeable also below the table. Thumbnail looks good though.

About the glossiness of the floor, some hardwood floors sure can look that glossy. What bothers me is that the bump map is so strong and seems out of scale. The specularity should follow the differences on the surface, here it looks almost like a large noise map. Here and here are some references of very glossy hardwood floors. Notice how the small irregularities on the glossiness are very subtle and follow the grain of the wood.

Other than that, it’s a solid and clean render :slight_smile: