Low-poly male model

Hi,

this is my first more serious attempt on human model. It should end up with fully rigged and animated male game character. Long way there though…

Right now I begin to model head for this but I would much appreciate any critic and comments on anatomy, topology ect. of this body.

Thanks

Attachments

looks very nice for a first model.Half life 2?

Thanks,
it is not my first model, I do 3D for a long time, I just never been much into human modeling (or organic in general), trying to fill the gap in abilities :slight_smile:

It is not for the Half Life, it´s for WME engine.

When doing lowpoly modelling for games, you should forget about quads. You end up dealing in triangles anyway, so you may as well model for it.

One basic crit on the anatomy, too – either your shoulders need to go out or your hips need to come in. Only a little bit, but this guy looks like he, well, grew out of a cube. I’d recommend pushing the outisde of the shoulders out, and pulling the top of the hips in a bit - this will sort out the straightness of the bum as well, which looks a bit odd.

I use quads for games personally.
What I see is you’re using the polygons alot like a grid, so the result is basically there are tons of polygons that don’t matter and also it makes everything look more block like. Having just enough polys for the silhouette is all that is required, since lighting can be by the pixel. From there there are some places you need to add detail. Maybe you know all that but hopefully I’ve been of some help.

I, personally, wouldn’t label this low poly. It is a great base mesh though. The only reason I wouldn’t call it low poly, personally, is because it looks like one of my meshes when its time for some multires and some sculpting work. Others may label it the same way you do, seems noone that’s posted so far is of the same mind as I. eitehr way…its still a good looking base mesh.

The bum and lower back seem off to me. I would add another loop just inside of the shoulder going down to the bum so that you have more control over the shape of the lats. When deciding where loops should be focus on the underlying muscle. You’ll get more realistic stills and it will be easier to get good deformation when you animate

The images in this thread may help:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=31071

Same with these images:

PS Good choice sticking to quads. It’s a little bit of extra work that won’t show in the game engine but it will make dealing with the model MUCH easier as you progress. Adding detail is a lot easier when you can use all the edge tools (ctrl+e)