Low poly to high poly...how do you proceed?

Hi everybody,
sooooo, this is my low poly model of the harness of my character.
I already Uv mapped it, because I have seen some work pipeline where you can subdivide the low poly mesh and then you sculpt the detail on your new high poly, and this makes the baking process more easy. I know this is the theory, but not how to go at it in practice. I tried to bring this model in Zbrush, but it deletes some geometry and the subdivision isn’t the greatest. I tried sculpting but in blender with the multui-res modifier but my pc goes really slow.
I need this harness to look like leather.
Does somenone have any advice or tricks for how to proceed?

p.s. sorry if my english sounds weird.

Making it look like leather is less about sculpting, and more about texturing.

For sure, you can use multires to sculpt a few details, such as wrinkles, folds or creases (And then bake that as a normal or displacement map), but the actual leather look will come from texturing.

This is the kind of thing that Substance Painter does really well. Of course you could try to do it in blender too with procedural bump maps, and maybe use texture painting to paint the base colors and get that variation in tone.

It’s also worth noting that the actual ‘low poly’ mesh would be the mesh with subsurf turned off.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! The models doeasn’t have subdivision, so that’s covered. I do have substance painter, guess I’ll start learning it. Thank you for your feed back!