Low-Quality Baked Textures

Howdy y’all! I’ve been trying to figure out why my baked textures look bad, especially my normal bake, which has these weird splotches around that give the wood finish an ugly look. I’m still quite new to baking, so can someone give me a detailed breakdown from start to finish of exactly what I should be doing in order for my bakes to look 1 to 1 with the original textures? I’ve attached a link to the .blend file here. In the .blend file, in the shader tab, there should be two materials - one with the original textures and the other with the baked ones. I’d like to start selling my models soon but don’t want to put out low-quality stuff. If I can’t do this within Blender, please school me on any other software where this is achievable. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Blend File (All textures packed)

Original*

Baked

*The original textures are from CC0 Textures, so I’m not breaking any laws! Just a heads up! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a resolution issue. You’re cramming a 4096x image projected and scaled 5x onto a surface, while your UV can be, at most, 4096 x 3000ish. You’re going to lose some detail no matter what you do.

I redid your UV map to maximize space by setting the bottom of the table share the same coordinates as the top. These are the results I got…

Original:

Baked:

As you can see, there is some detail lost, but it is improved somewhat from your initial attempt.

edit: …and the new UV map looks like this.