Lowpoly -Vid Tut

Okay this is a draft of what I am working on. This will end up being split into serveral files on Just tips on modeling/lowpoly modeling and just shortcuts to take and so on.

7Zip (winrar can open it or just google 7zip to find th extractor)
Divx 6 encoded
~30 mins long
136MB
http://www.gorilla3d.com/vids/lowpolyface.7z

I know I mumbled a lot, but i donno maybe if you guys can point out which part of the tut was more helpful so. I did spend an extra 6 min explaining with other unwrapping method but its supose to be just the modeling part so I cut it out.

So Far the parts I will redo:
-Setting up Reference images
-Building a wire frame
-Creating/Modfiy Faces
-The Power of Pivot

And its not like I will do a full 30 mins like this one since its insane for me… I am horrible at talking. So have at the most 5 mins for each part. That why I wont have such a horrible mesh to deal with while using recording.

I´m downloading right now.

awsome tutorial watche it last night easy to understand and it helps that you had a method to the tutorial and dint wing it like some of the others i have come accross

Man, I wish I could do tutorials. I sound like a retard on video. I have 2 Capture cards and two computers, so I could actually get real-time video capture on one PC, while the other is used to do the live tutorial.

Well I´ve worked with this kind of system in maya. Draw the edges and make faces later.

Well here are some harsh crit. Someones got to do it.

*I do not like why you go with triangles. Edgeloops are for a reason.
*There is alot of reapeating of the same technics. You could speed that thrue. *No need to explain the same action. It gets very repeated.
*The end result wasn´t that accurate as the reference.
*Felt unfinnished.

The good:
*I find the use of 3d coursor very handy in this tutorial.
*How to set up the scene. With planes and stuff.
*Small tricks.
*Your nice smoothing voice :slight_smile:

But it´s nice that you´re making the effort of making this tutorial.
I believe this could be much better.

Keep it up. :slight_smile:

Well I only targeted 30 mins so the model came out shitty. Also triangles help correct what quads dont show like when faces dont form right. Also if you export to another file for mat like .x you get triangles and you may not get the overall face control of tris since it gets converted anyways. Also in Lowpoly modeling faceloops are only needed for animation purposes, if you face will be static you could place them anyway where as long as they follow your uv outlines you plan on creating. My rework will include small segements like I said so I can have a nicer lowpoly model. Lastly I plan on making a full flegded model like my last one [ http://www.gorilla3d.com/images/lowpoly/female.jpg ]

But uh yeah if you got lost at any point please let me know

I like the video, but I could barely hear you! You need to talk louder and clearer.

Great work, Sutabi, thank you for the tuto :slight_smile:
I´ll be waitting for next chapters, keep up the good work.

Downloading just now. Will comment later after I’ve seen it.

I just watched it a while ago… I was hoping for a subdivision surface modeling tut… -like this one:)
http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/tutorial/modeling.html
only for blender…

well, since I started with poly to poly modeling, here’s a tip…-selecting 2 edges and pressing “F” also makes a face:)…

-It’d be great (yet kinda pointless) if you did a python scripting video tutorial…

Okay, Sutabi, I’m gonna split my comments into two distinct categories
Tutorial: Content
Tutorial: TechnicalTutorial: Content

It’s always good to watch different approaches to modelling. Your method is certainly one I haven’t seen before. It’s similar to spline-modelling in MAX in that you define the edges and fill the gaps.

You should also be commended for excellent use of the 3D cursor. I’ve been using Blender for a month or so now and I have never once thought to use the 3D cursor for extrusion+rotation at the same time. Brilliant stuff :smiley:

Those who gripe about the presence of triangles should note that it was mentioned a the beginning that this was a LOW poly mesh. Since most low-poly meshes end up in game engines, the use of triangles is almost always a requirement so don’t sweat it.

However, if a user wanted to use this technique for high-poly modelling it would have been nice to have kept the faces all quads during the tutorial prior to triangulation. Just a minor suggestion.

The UV-mapping portion of the tut was perhaps the least impressive to be honest. I had hoped to see an actual example of using LCSM to unwrap the face, instead of seeing a planar projection method.

But that doesn’t matter too much.

All in all, quite a good starting point for an excellent tutorial. Even if the face doesn’t look much like the reference.

Tutorial: Technical

Okay, the tutorial itself now.

It’s annoying when watching a tutorial to see an MSN window popping up saying you’ve got mail. So in future, just log out MSN while you’re tutorialing. (Focus should be on the tutorial anyway.)

The volume level was low. Most microphones are bad at this anyway.

I don’t know what you captured it with but if you end up with a RAW uncompressed AVI, use Virtualdub to rip the audio track out. Take the audio WAV into Audacity and do some EQ fiddling. Do a 10-16khz cut-off to get rid of high-frequency hiss and do a cut for anything below about 120hz. (Voices are mostly mid-range and lack lots of bass.)

Take your raw AVI in virtualdub and import your newly amplified and frequency adjusted WAV commentary.

The uncompressed filesize for your tutorial was 230+ MB and that’s quite a whopper. I see you used DIVX and though it’s quite good, the Techsmith codec (available for free), is much better at screengrab content. (NOTE: Techsmith is free for decoding, just found that out. Stick with DIVX then.)

Use virtualdub to select a better codec and compress your new audio into something like a 48kb/s MP3 format for the AVI. (Your tutorial was a 44KHz PCM uncompressed stream which was a MASSIVE 157MB on it’s own.)

If you learn these little tips and tricks you could squish future tutorials down in size, rid the video of low and high-end unwanted hiss, and keep the vocals clear.

Good luck, I await the 2nd version of this tutorial :smiley:

-I think the only thing that really matters is weather the tutorial is helpful or not; If it’s helpful, that’s good. It’s not like a big final on a speach class or anything;

{
//stuff goes here…
do {
whatever_you_want();
while (quality > composition).
//that’s all I got for now…
}

Great work. This helped me get more of a feel for your style than that time we spent in verse a few weeks back.

I was merely commenting on what was good and bad about Sutabi’s tutorial. Others mentioned the volume, I merely mentioned other aspects of it.

Just as one would expect a well-written HTML tutorial to have good grammar and clear steps, so too should video tutorials adhere to certain simple expectations.

All things being well and good, hopefully the tips I suggested will be read, and the next video tutorial Sutabi (or anyone) does will be better for it.

(I even tested it myself. I took that 230+ MB file, and purely in virtual dub managed to fix the audio and recompress the entire tut down to 110MB. Of which, I might add, only about 10MB was audio compared to 150MB with the original. So it does make a difference. :D)

Yes I agree with PolygoneUK, those are good tips, that way you don’t have to have a good speaking voice to come across clearly and since I’m on a dial-up size DOES matter.

Also, agree that it’d be a good idea to turn MSN/ICQ/AIM off, it’s kinda like a teacher having their cell phone ring in the middle of class. (even if they don’t answer)

Anyway as for the other aspects:

I learned some things I had totally missed, like holding shift and selecting vert and edge select modes. Also some shortcuts I wish I had known about sooner.

Also found your methods for outlining the face interesting, I won’t crit your model as you said yourself it was rushed and not the best. Breaking it up so it isn’t so rushed would be a good idea.

I wish you had gone into the UVmapping part more, too bad it got cut off.

If you’re going to highlight the mouse cursor, use something less distracting, or at least start out by explaining what it is and what the red circle means as apposed to another color. Just so we all know the score.

Anyway I learned from this and thank you for your tuts, as before I hope you can make more of them.

Don’t get discouraged, these efforts are a boon to the community and a great help for newcomers to blender and 3D modeling alike