Luxcore Scene Revisited and Altered

I started playing around with Luxcore a couple of days ago and I thought I’d give a try to this engine in order to see its pros and cons. I downloaded the Luxcore 2.1 Benchmark scene from here, because I really liked the mood and the feeling of it, and I started altering materials, removing and adding objects etc. I downloaded some free models from 3dsky (bottle of wine and plaster ornaments) and added 4 simple wine glasses in order to see how glass renders with this engine. Not the perfect example, I know, but I can’t remember glasses looking so real in Cycles.

Of course, I still have many things to learn. I just started. The image isn’t perfect, and I couldn’t find a way to remove noise from some specific parts (even with OIDN enabled), but I think I’ll continue to experiment with Luxcore, because I think it has a great potential, especially in archviz scenes like this one.

I slightly edited the image in Photoshop (I removed some fireflies and noisy spots here and there), mostly adding contrast and lowering some burned highlights. That’s all.

The chair used in this scene is an old model of mine. I made it in Rhino, several years ago. It’s a modern Italian style living room/dining chair. I hope you like the conception.

All credits to the Luxcore development team. I wish we could see this render engine integrated in Blender by default some day. I don’t know if this is even possible, but it’s a wish. Cycles is much more complex in its node system and powerful in parametric stuff and creativity, but Luxcore has a good setup for interiors especially and caustics of course, something we’ve been missing in Cycles and it’s a must in archviz and interior scenes.

PS I downloaded the LuxcoreRender v2.5 beta from the LuxcoreRender Forums.

PS2 Artstation Link

19 Likes

I found a way to remove the noise. I deactivated the “Light Tracing” option and the calculation of caustics for this scene. It was giving me noisy results without any obvious gain in caustics. Glasses still look great I think. This is the re-rendered scene. I used the Super Image Denoiser (SID) I purchased today with very good results I think.

4 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thanks @bartv !

1 Like

Another great piece of work! :+1:

1 Like

Can u tell how You get this green/pink blur effect?

1 Like

To tell you the truth, I hadn’t noticed that… :blush:
I don’t know. It looks like chromatic aberration, or colored-edge fringe in other words. I didn’t do that in purpose. Maybe the mild depth of field I chose to add to the image did that.

Or JPG compression. :wink:

1 Like

I checked the raw png file, and the artifact is there. Can you think of something else?

PS I just saw that the “Color Aberration” option was checked in the camera settings. I’ll render one version with this option disabled, and I’ll come back with the new image. I added some texturing in the walls, and I’d like to see if it gets more realistic.

2 Likes

CA it is… when possible, bother to check BlendLuxCore’s “Image pipeline” settings :smirk:

1 Like

Despite the unplanned effect, it looks quite interesting. :smiley:

1 Like

Yeap. It gives the impression that this is a real photo, or something like that. I’m rendering the scene now, with the color aberration option disabled. I’ll see what’s different about it. I’ll post the result here of course.

Until I am curious about the result :smiley:

Yes, it was the Color Aberration option. The render came out without these fringes. As I said, I added a bit of texture on the wall elements. It came out looking better imo.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s amaizng scene bro, I like it

1 Like