LuxRender 1.0RC1 released!

Nice! Congratulations on the 1.0 release!

Any chance for lightmap baking? :wink:

Ok, thanks.

adam

Waw, congratulations to all the team !

I’ve been following Lux from the beginning (and from a distance it has to be said): 1.0 is a nice step !

I am a little bit in SamCameron’s case: the number of tweaks in the rendering engine settings is absolutely frightening for the non-expert (call him “artist” if you will). Path, bidirectionnal path, retroactive double helix path, etc. Difficult to make a choice when you have no clue. But i guess it has a meaning and makes sense to some of you !

I have managed to se it up, found the latest LuxBlend, etc.
But i can’t choose internal for instance…

EDIT: correction: i had to re-install pylux.
I’d like to try small Lux, but how you set up that is a mystery to me ! Is it some other executable ?

Luxrender Engine Presets are existing to configure engine for the user.
A newbie can close Luxrender Settings Panel.
Documentation is here.
http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxBlend25_Manual

Also, for LuxBlend, you’ll find lots of new toys,…, compositor support

I don’t understand. what does it mean ?
It is not use of nodes. So, what is this “compositor support” ?

The link doesn’t wokr for me - it shows lines of code with which I don’t know what to do. Instead I downloaded SLG v1.8beta1 from luxrender forum, installed as an addon and then I could choose smallux gpu from render engines rollout. Next I specified paths for smalluxgpu executable and scene export - chosed smalluxgpu2 bundled with this release for executable (earlier the renderer was nagging me for those when I tried to render anything). Lastly I set up sunlamp in the scene with default cube - ticked sky and atmosphere in sun’s properties (again nagging renderer) and hit F12 - something happend without any issues this time but I didn’t get any render result (altought folder for scene export contains some data now) - Lord Crc help!

Compositor nodes = yes
Material nodes = no

See this thread for the rest of the info: http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6606

i don’t understand:

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8139

We are bundling SLG (Small Lux GPU) with this release because it is lightning fast and pretty usable even with its highly experimental status.

but here is no SLG.exe
Or you mean you bundle source only
and SLG 1.8 must downloaded separate?

No, the SLG2 executable is included in the download, and the plugin for blender is here https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxrays/raw/tip/samples/smallluxgpu2/blender/render_smallluxgpu.py

The “lines of code” is the exporter :slight_smile: You can save the file and install it in blender using the “Install Add-on” button.

After following your steps, I had to ensure that the Render Type was set to PathGPU2. SLG2 only supports this render type. It seems we need to polish the SLG exporter a bit before 1.0 release :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

As someone who has used Luxrender before, I only have a couple of questions as of now.

Does anyone know when Luxrender will get vertex color support, because it can actually be a very useful feature for mixing materials (especially on organic objects) and adding color variety to various objects like a bunch of bricks. I would also like to see a texture that creates a black and white mask based on the fresnal effect so we can use it to mix any two materials or affect any two attributes, so as we could use such an effect on a lot more than just affecting the reflectance and on the glass/glass2 materials.

I would also like to see more masking texture types in general (like slope-masking), and a brick texture that one could actually get working (because the one Luxrender has now cannot create bevels in the brick shape and the brickmod texture feature is difficult to use).

Sounds like a nice feature, however from what I can see it’s not in our tracker so I don’t think we’ve thought about it yet. We’re planning an overhaul of the mesh internals, it most likely won’t be implemented before then, but hopefully it won’t be too far way. Would be nice to keep this feature in mind for then, feel free to add it to our tracker so we don’t forget http://www.luxrender.net/mantis/

The fresnel effect depends on both the incoming and outgoing (reflected) angle of a ray, and as such it doesn’t fit the concept of a texture in LuxRender. It is something which we’ve talked about in the past on several occasions, and I can certainly see the use-case, but it’s currently tricky to implement.

If we add something like this it will most likely be a special mix material type, since it fits the material concept better. I’ve already implemented one such type for v1.0, the “glossycoating” material which mixes a glossy coating with an arbitrary base material and I’ve thought about how to do extend it to mix between two arbitrary materials. However this comes with it’s own set of tricky cases, so… damned if you do, damned if you don’t :slight_smile:

It’s definitely something I’d like to see in Lux at some point though, one way or another.

Please consider adding this to our the tracker so we don’t forget about it (and perhaps expand what you mean by slope-masking, not immediately obvious to a coder like me :slight_smile: ).

I’ll keep it short:
Great efford, awesome work - thanks!

try this latest luxrender with the latest drivers i.e. when ccc 12.4 officially comes out that would be interesting

Just a quick question there, to make sure: LuxRender in its normal implementation (i mean not SmallLux) doesn’t use OpenCL and your graphic card, does it ?
In which case, what would the latest ccc12.4 drivers change ???

LuxRender can use your GPU as well, just not as a pure GPU renderer. (meaning it works as a hybrid renderer, the CPU is feeding the GPU the hard work of the rendering). SLG can render entirely on your GPU same as Cycles.

Oh, really?

But is there a way to engage/disengage the GPU ? I’d be curious to see what it brings over CPU-only renderings.

Select either “hybrid path” or “hybrid bidirectional” from the rendering mode menu. Compare them to the corresponding “path” and “bidirectional” modes that only use the CPU.

On my 7970, with the Sala example file (http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5895):

I get 160kC/s with CPU path unbiased, and 570kC/s with GPU OpenCL Path unbiased. 100% GPU Efficiency with the state buffer count set to 2, 331% compared to 100% with CPU. About 3.3 times faster with GPU. 205 Samples per pixel in 15 minutes. Not bad at all, especially considering there are no scene render limits involving GPU memory. More than 3 times as fast with full unbiased rendering! :slight_smile:

So, yeah, it is definitely using GPU acceleration. Windows movement also gets choppy (indicating the GPU is kept busy with rendering).

edit not too sure though about comparing these figures - on second thought I am probably misreading these.

Once again:

LuxRender can use GPU, but in a different way, only the intersections are computed
by GPU, which is almost 70% of rendercomputations.
So we call this “hybrid”-modes.
There are both path and bidir also in hybrid variants, but need a bit polish ( and will
get ) for 1.0 final release.

SmallLuxGPU on the other hand is a pure GPU ( openCL ) renderer, which can btw.
also use CPU as openCL device. So you will get fastest renders with both GPU and CPU enabled here ( set the hook at both places :wink: )
Reminder: SLG is controlled with its own exporter, be aware that atm some settings
are disfunctional, cause we are at cleaning up SLG rendermodes.

Jens

I love Cycles for its interactivity and wonderful nodes, but I love Luxrender for its advanced rendering methods like metropolis and dispersion! Tonight I rendered a prism to be my wallpaper:

http://olliakras.com/prism2.png

It’s unbelievably fast to render, you see the rainbow in a few samples already! This level of noise took 5 hours or so on CPU.

Thank you developers!