M41A Pulse Rifle

Hi!

I’m modeling and texturing accurate M41A Pulse Rifle from movie Aliens.
So far so good. Still some details missing.
It’s funny how much you learn when you search info and reference picture for your model. M41A was made using parts from M1A1 Thompson submachine gun and Franci SPAS 12 shotgun.
Classic scifi gun indeed!

1 Like

Nice ! I don’t know if you want to do all details , if yes few details are missing I think

I’m not a gun expert but I think the carrying handle is to straight.
(sorry for my bad English)

1 Like

Thanks for pointing these out! Although I was modeling those details but preference pictures having some minor differences got me scratching my head.
The original M41A seems to be more rounded in form.

Gotta fix that.

Some tweaks and fixes:

Very cool! I can’t wait to see this finished. :slight_smile:

Thanks! We’ll see how it turns out!

A bit more details modeled and overall shape made a bit rounder.
Modeling almost finished.

Attachments

Fast materials before texturing.

Texturing definitely makes everything more interesting. UV-unwrapping done on the plastic panels. Some placeholder textures made and a bit some test wear. Just diffuse texture applied.
Maybe I’ll animate some kind of turn table when this is finished.

Attachments

Plastic panels (almost) textured.
Diffuse, normal and spec map combined.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]373471[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Started texturing the grenade launcher. Slow work but it’s getting there.
Using multiple custom brushes in Photoshop with noise layer, multiple grunge layers and stack of modifiers.
Going after that battle worn look as if it’s used in some battles.

Couple of hours of texturing…Slowly getting hang of it.

1 Like

Dem scratches… give them to me ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Looks great! This thing served me well in Aliens VS Predator, never let the finger off the trigger.

Keep it up!

Nice.

It’s got to be up there as one of the most iconic sounding guns in sci-fi history.

Thanks guys!

Her’s more progress. Almost textured…
Some viewport screenshot:

Attachments

Some renders with SPEC and Normal-maps.

Attachments

1 Like

Nice model! Personally I wouldn’t mind brand new (i.e. unscratched) rifle, one should take care of their weapon :slight_smile: And I’d make ammo counter numbers with emission material, not just red paint.

Thanks! I changed the ammo counter material to emission so it should look better.
Texturing (more or less) done. No I have to make the scene more interesting. Or at least make better renders and maybe some turntable animation…

Attachments

I think the black paint need to be lightened. A dark gray paint would be good. Aside from that, everything looks fine.

Well this is kinda old model already but did something new for it. PBR with textures! Because it’s cool.

1 Like

Looks really great and probably one of the best looking Pulse Rifles I have seen online. For inspiration, here are some other Pulse Rifle variants with different color schemes and attachments.