Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

oh true I forgot !

I think it goes without saying that some benchmarks would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

1 Like

I expect you will see much faster than 8 minutes when cycles supports metalā€¦boxshot found improvements of over 5x using the m1 max gpu over cpu for rendering. id expect 2x is a very modest goalā€¦

1 Like

how do you figure it doesnt compete with cuda? There are multiple tests showing that when optimized for the m1 gpu, apps are actually outperforming CUDA gpusā€¦I have posted several gaming examples. Now granted this may not directly convert to similar performance gains in all applications, but it does show promise.

1 Like

I didnā€™t want to be arrogant. :smiley: The M1 will blow away the Intels.

I blame Apple, the more realistic comparison would be AMD GPUs as they donā€™t have RT cores and no cudaā€¦ or does the 6000 Series?

Ok the 6000 series apparently has ray tracing acceleration.

My text might not have been well written

I saw the game references. Can those be good measures to assess 3D rendering like cycles?

It makes sense that with the video engines build into video editing on the m1 pro and max are very performant

I guess I was more making a reference to with a pc you can put in the rtx cars you want or cards you want thus possibly being able to combine more gpu power.

Nvidia und a just getting ready to release their next 4000 series - they are not sleeping either.

I think the MBP is also that expensive because of the display put in - the machine seems to be made for video editors in mind.

I hope that a macmini max or pro wonā€™t be that expensive.

Yes however if what I read is true the Nvidia will do an Intel, like double wattage and double performance.

Yes, up to 600 W for GPUs and more for CPUs.

And there are more bad news of a new ATX 3 (?) standard
strange voltage tolerance shifting,
12 V only PSUs but voltage conversion on Motherboards
instead (fan required) and such things ā€¦

I am no friend of this development.
But this future sounds seducing :

I agree not a fan either of the performance at any cost mentality.

Also even if I am less of a gamer than I used to be, I am scared that the graphics before gameplay and story will be even more prominent than it is now.

Also while photorealistic can be impressive at times I will prefer a nice artistic style over photorealistic in games or animation any day.

Like Arcane League of legends on Netflix trailer looks great, still have to watch it however.

On the other hand the Final Fantasy spirits within movie was quite impressive visually for back then but story was well not great / lacking (if I remember correctly). Perhaps I should rewatch it out if curiosity.

I should rewatch it perhaps now that they remastered it in 4k. Wonder how that holds up 20 years later.

1 Like

I think the Intels will blow away the M1 laptopā€¦ the chairs tooā€¦ the tableā€¦ Have you seen the fans kick in on these gaming laptops??

2 Likes

You have not watched it yet ? What is wrong with you ! Seriously !

What makes the show actually so good is also well they show emotions.

At times I feel it is more a mature audience series.

1 Like

The 3D mocap to 2D stylized animation pipeline is amazing. Love the Ghibli and 2000AD/European graphic novel influencesā€¦

1 Like

For laptops in would say Intel and amd reached their limit

Better performance with less heat production / power consumption seems less possible.

For desktop you can always add more LEDs fans and water cooling to your pc case

Edit: I should have also said that they could try to out in more GPUs as long as they are able to buy them

lol, why has it been a month before I see this valuable information?

I am counting on those machines to be roughly $800 to $1000 less expensive for the same configuration.

If you figure that right now the Mac Mini is roughly 40% less expensive than the equivalent M1 Mac Book Pro ($699 vs $1299), then it would stand to reason that the Mac Mini Max would be roughly 40% less expensive than the 16" M1 Max Mac Book Pro.

3 Likes

yeah display mouse and keyboard I have

all I need is a mac

my inl-aw got a new M1 iMac - he does photo work and is blown away

4 Likes

I find it ironic that the younger generation, which at my age is anyone under 40, is supposed to save the world from the mistakes of the boomers, especially around climate change. But they get all excited about these power gobbling computers that may allow photorealistic gaming. Huge render farms, NFTs, and Bit Coin Mining are all necessities it seems, along with huge, gas guzzling SUVs, trucks with 6 tires, the Metaverse and other modern toys and trinkets that require us to pillage the earth and leave native populations scrambling for survival.

The older generation never dies, itā€™s efficiently replaced by replicas who eventually end up on their front porch yelling at the kids to get off their lawn. I may be off topic but maybe I can put on my rose colored glasses long enough to hope Appleā€™s move to low power chips has a positive effect on other manufacturers and consumers.

6 Likes

Quite off-topic, though I prefer the using the Mini over the RTX for power efficiency. That said individuals arenā€™t predicted to generate the most carbon emissions, rather corporations are, and voting with our money might have more impact.

We ARE voting with our money, and weā€™re choosing lifestyles and products manufactured by processes that continue to pollute and pillage. I donā€™t pretend to be any different, other than I recognize the contradiction. Besides, Iā€™m a Boomer. Apologies for being off-topic. I enjoy my M1 Mac Mini and itā€™s saving me a buck or something a month in energy bills.

2 Likes