Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Well, that’s settle it. no M2/M1X announced :confused:

Universal Control was fairly neat, making the bridge between an iPad and Macbook that much tighter, but without that 16" MBP…meh.

Oh well. Maybe in November.

1 Like

I didn’t get a chance to watch wwdc, but that sounds pretty cool! I imagine it would be much easier for kids to get into coding now. Sad they limited it to swift though, VSCode on the iPad would be lovely.

1 Like

WWDC 2021

HaHaHa …

But I really enjoyed it.
Apple is so cool. Show nothing of what we were exited of and wanted to see.
But it wasn’t bad nevertheless.

I am looking forward to all the developer videos. Swift, Metal, C4D integration, …

It’s a developers conference. People put their own hype into things Apple never said. Now that Apple does these online they can literally do an announcement for new hardware whenever they want.

Anyway. It seems like Apple is pushing raytracing in some of their Metal presentations. They did that last year but there seems to be more of a push this time around. I feel like that’s a not so subtle hint from Apple that its where they are headed.

I agree.

Before I read the leaker that no hardware may be presented.
And had the feeling that could be possible. Hoped to be else
but if I would have been afraid hardware presentations would
be totally delayed I would not have enjoyed the presentation.
Honestly I prefer the Corona influenced Offline presentations.
Makes quality better and I feel as near as any developer who
can pay some grands for a ticket to attend.

I haven’t had expected that PR stunt though.

So for now I am more interested in the Software news.

yes some nice stuff even if there was no new hardware. That Photogrammetry Api was cool too.

To be fair, Apple has released hardware on multiple occasions at WWDC, including the 15" MacBook Pro Retina.

To be fair again, Apple never says anything about any new products :stuck_out_tongue: That’s the fun of talking about rumors.

Interesting tools to combine multiple devices running different OS platforms.

1 Like

Yeah, that was pretty sweet see photogrammetry code build into future iOS and Mac OS.
I think this shows Apple’s slow push into the fields of VR/AR, which will have ripples throughout the CG industry.

1 Like

iOS too? Looking forward to the photogrammetry - but I am curious about the quality.]

I love metashape and how fast it is and you accelerated.

They (Apple) was demonstrating with an iPhone and iPad. Not sure on the in-and-outs with it just being a quick “look what will be available in iOS 15” kinda promo.

@cekuhnen
Edit: I’m seeing iPhones used but the photogrammetry work looks like it’s done on the Mac, but they don’t say it’s not an iOS thing too. Apple highlights C4D this time, but I’m sure any modern DCC will handle the format.

Starts at hour 1:37

They that’s what I thought

However why not since both os now run on arm.

But photogrammetry needs a lot of gpu power to be usefully fast

From my minimal experience with photogrammetry on the iPad Pro, it worked well with the TrueDepth camera and LiDar sensors. I doubt the Mac has the technology to capture photogrammy

Maybe by macOS they were referring to the integration between the two? It would be nice to use the iPhones camera for photogrammy on macOS,

1 Like

Yeah that’s what they’re showing in the video; iPhone to Mac.

Thanks for clarifying, I didn’t watch wwdc so I was a little confused. That makes much more sense

1 Like

Currently the LiDAR Scanner is way to corse for anything useful

They talk about photos done with the iPhone and 3D model calculated with the Mac

I agree Lidar is a mess was so disappointed when I tried it. Small to medium stuff sucks.

Was hoping apps would get better but I guess it is mire of a hardware limitation.

Now if they would combine Lidar with Photogrammetry that might be good :wink:

I highly doubt that you’ll get great photogrammetry results from a mobile device only - these projects usually take several hours to run on my macbook even for relatively simple projects. So some kind of handoff from your phone to your mac seems the best approach.

2 Likes