Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Google Drive? We Transfer? Dropbox?

1 Like

Hmm. Havenā€™t tried out Google Drive yet. Iā€™ll give it a go.

Try this BRAND NEW LINK:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nbqwq_-DuPp31XpksEcC69W-H8cvyIB0/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Renzatic, me here too :slight_smile: , i have a Lenovo laptop with Ryzen 5800H this gets me 13200 points in Multi Cinebench R23. An M1 gets you 7700 from my research.

I have a RTX 3060 if you have a scene you want i test the GPU i can do it.

In my research i donā€™t advice to get the M1 if you are after speed. Multicore is much weaker and the graphic card should be inferior to a Nvidia.

1 Like

From what I gather, the M1 is incredibly fast at pushing raw polygons. Itā€™s able to stand toe to toe with much more expensive machines when it comes to animation and motion graphics.

Itā€™s the rendering speed where it seems to suffer most.

Good thing is, Iā€™m far from being a professional. I do this for fun, so I donā€™t need blazing fast render times. But if Iā€™m gonna spend $1500+ on a new machine, I like knowing Iā€™m getting something thatā€™s considerably better than what I currently have, even if it isnā€™t the best in all aspects.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still hoping that the Apple Silicon / Metal version of Octane will be more stable / issue-free by the time a new iMac is available. I wouldnā€™t mind getting an Octane subscription if that helps.

Octane is my favorite Blender renderer at the moment, and itā€™s quite speedy.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about dabbling in Octane. Thing is, that subscription price kinda runs up against my whole being a cheap bastard spiel.

1 Like

Well, I literally am expecting a Mac Mini to arrive at any moment, so I can test on both the Mac Book Air with 7 GPU and the Mac Mini with an 8 GPU and see if there is any difference (my guess is no).

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget you get more iterations or more free time with a faster render. Got my 5800H+RTX 3060(130W and MUX) 17.3" 16Gb RAM for 1100 euro, 1 month ago. Obviously you might value other factors.

That is just a bit below the latest 10 core Intel iMac.
(My 3950X PC has 22822 CB R23 multi)

But my CAD (Vectorworks 2022) released a universal native
ARM optimized version. And it is a great improvement.
RAM usage is more realistic now, without Rosetta similar to Intel,
which means 2,5-3 times less than Intel Version on M1.
So I can even open the largest ugliest Projects now and View Navigation
and Editing is snappy on my 16 GB M1 Mini.
Just the 16 GB shared memory limit is hindering as the it canā€™t cache the
whole Geometry.
So switching Layer Visibilities will lag quite a bit.

I think if my Mini had just 64 MB shared Memory and 2-4 times the
GPU+CPU cores it would just fly ā€¦

Did you know that you could hear the M1 Mini Fan ?
Mine got stuck with one of the Public Monterey Public Beta Updates.
And it sounded like my Trash Can when using early versions of
Twinmotion.
But when not crashed and frozen, you will never hear the Fan.
Whatever demanding tasks you are doing. I only hear the noise
of my external SSDs.
(I always wondered why I can hear SSDs working at all ā€¦)

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile:
strange how software development seems to lag in relation to hardware. I must says that i am quite disappointed in general with software evolution rate.

Primarily, I just want to get into that slick, smooth, easy to use Apple ecosystem.

See, Iā€™m in this really awkward demographic that isnā€™t 100% happy with anything. I can live with Windows, but itā€™s pretty meh overall. I prefer Linux for its desktops and overall stability, but I donā€™t have access to all my favorite programs here. Macs represent the best of both worlds in a way. I get the usability and stability, and all my apps.

ā€¦except for the hardware. With Apple, you almost always have to sacrifice GPU if you want to make the jump. The M1 is appealing because, while it isnā€™t the most powerful across the board, it may be just enough for what I need.

Like Iā€™m getting to the point that Iā€™m using tons more geometry than I used to. The M1 can handle TONS of geo. I tend to work in Eevee at first before jumping over to Cycles (and sometimes Iā€™ll forego Cycles altogether), having gotten used to the former enough to roughly predict how the latter will turn out with the same settings. From what I hear, Eeveeā€™s a solid performer on the M1, so thatā€™s another check in its advantage.

ā€¦rendering? Thatā€™s the big question, and the one Iā€™m going to do the most research on before I consider an M1 mac.

And by research, I mean harassing everyone here until I get my answers.

2 Likes

Hmmh,
I think that is pretty fast for CAD or most 3D Software.
I am not sure if Bricscad will manage to release a native Mac ARM version.
Modo seems to be still pretty occupied with their QT update.
Cinema4D is another Story but that Blender even has a native Alpha or Beta
is pretty exciting for me.

I canā€™t really live with Windows.
It works but all the time you get confronted with that unnecessary complexity
and lack of love to detail. I have all the time the impression Windows tries
to control and work against me.

And Linux.
From Manjaro, Elementary and Tumbleweed, only Tumbleweed really survived
my Nvida to AMD RX 6800 swap.
And now that I tried to install the latest Elementary again, as you canā€™t upgrade
anyway. It asked to delete a whole SSD !? I tried Custom Install and it asked
For Root, Data and EFI Partition. At one point I tried standard install again
after I freed a Partition.
It asked for a whole SSD again but I tried to try step by step to see if I will get
a last option. Hey, it is Linux it will finally ask if it really should format the whole
SSD. It did not.
It not only killed my beloved ever surviving Tumbleweed, but also my Linux
Software and Backup of Home Directories Partition, this way.

OK, I have 3 clean new Linux Installations now.
But in such cases I think I am damn happy that Apple offers useful Hardware
for 3D after nearly a decade again.

And now Apple starts to threaten us with local CSAM scanning and now
even with Autism detection by camera.
WTF!

Yup. That sounds about Linux.

Iā€™ve been using it on and off for about 5-6 years now, and Iā€™ve never had too many problems out of it. Though on those rare occasions when I have had a problem with it, theyā€™ve never been little problems. Itā€™s always ā€œfix it, or just reinstall the OS, which would probably be easierā€ type situations.

With Linux, either your computerā€™s working perfectly, or itā€™s on fire. There are no in-betweens.

Sorry not what i meant. If i look at hardware evolution from 2000 it has been very good. The capabilities improved several fold.
Instead in software i donā€™t see it, i still struggle with almost any application and OSā€™s, only with Sketchup sometimes i ā€œforget the toolā€ it is fluid, just me and the art.
For OS Microsoft improved the hardware recognition and not much more. Navigation is still cumbersome.

1 Like

Perhaps wait 1 or 2 months and see what the rumored 14 and 16 inch bring :wink:

That is what I would do.

1 Like

Yup. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing. Itā€™s the rumors of the new Mac Mini that have me interested the most.

2 Likes

A am a bit concerned why they did avoid comparing A15 to A14
with their Mobile devices and just against ā€œmost soldā€ android
devices only.
I was always told complete Intel switch was announced to take
2 years also but only needed 12+ months.
I hoped for ARM switch too but so far it looks more like a 3 years
switch with Corona and Chip shortage excusion to me.

(Am I too negative ?)

This isnā€™t directly related to the M1, but a heads up for those who are part of the recent growth in the userbase of MacOS.

Unpatched MacOS vulnerability lets remote attackers execute code | Ars Technica

What this means? Since Apple is starting to gain marketshare in the PC market again, the Mac. is starting to get more attention from security firms and malware crooks. The result could be your future experience including more frequent security updates while antivirus software scans in the background, just like in Windows.

How much of the Macā€™s speed advantage will be eaten away by security remains to be seen at this point. I would also not be surprised if a hypothetical ā€˜year of Linuxā€™ also revealed ā€˜security by obscurityā€™ as a defense factor for that OS as well. Then thereā€™s the fact that the M1 has not been around long enough to confirm whether or not it will need BIOS updates that could slow it down.