Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Poke the guys over on the dev site, maybe they have some tips. It seems like some of those guys are eggar to answer and solve problems like this. Maybe even ask Gelert. If he’s already sharing tips he may not mind walking you through it.

my friend attempted to compile it but ran into problems with the patch part. maybe youll have success…

Looks like Gelert did compile the x86 version… not sure if that makes a difference.
Said he could not compile the Arm one?

I am trying one more thing first aster “make debug” did not help either.
Perhaps the make update after the patch will help will see.

This is why I gave up on linux when I tried it 20 years ago, compiling was sometimes a mess.

1 Like

It’s a lot easier these days. I only have to punch my computer once a month to get it working right.

2 Likes

Yes I heard so perhaps I will try it one day again.
It still can be weird to get things to work depending on distro it seems.

I think that mostly depends upon how lucky you are. I’ve never had much trouble installing my various drivers and other bits and bobs. Most of it is usually installed and ready to go by the first boot for me, with only the proprietary Nvidia drivers taking a bit of extra effort.

…but some people, some unfortunate few, will install a Linux distro on their machines, then watch their computers immediately catch on fire.

I think the experience you get out of it might all depend upon your astrology sign.

1 Like

I think there is a issue with the patch at the moment.
Finally got the Xcode project to work (there was a strange issue with Cmake).

Looks to me like the patch is not done and some variables or so are not defined correctly ?

I don’t get it… will try to build an x86 versions and see.

2 Likes

Well I can’t figure it out, if I remove this lines with the errors it compiles but still does not work, which I thought might not matter as it seems to be the code related to what to do if there is no metal device but perhaps I am wrong.

the guy replied on devtalk forums and said to use WITH_METAL compile flag

ok so got it to compile with the patch…I got as far as getting blender to load, then I had to go into the blender cycles add-on and there was a metal tab. Unfortunately after it finished loading kernels it crashed. crashes every time I try to enable gpu compute cycles.
but here is the window that gave me hope up until that point…

5 Likes

This makes me happy. :grin::nerd_face:
Maybe Monday? Looks ready for Alpha testing now.

——-
Brecht Van Lommel (brecht) requested changes to this revision.[Fri, Dec 3, 2:26 PM]

I read more closely through the implementation now, and couldn’t spot bugs. There’s of course some work-in-progress things in there, but this seems ready to land to continue development in master.

I also tested this on a Macbook Air [M1], and basic final and viewport rendering worked for me.

Only waiting for the implementation of bvh_metal_createnow I think.

5 Likes

yeah I saw but I do not know how exactly but glas you got it to work :slight_smile:

How did you set the flag?
Even f it crashes I am curious what I did wrong.

I see there are two metal device entries in that screenshot, presumably cpu and gpu? I wonder if there’ll be any performance benefit from using them together, especially given how tightly integrated the soc is?

Via my friend :
Magic incantation was: make BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-D WITH_CYCLES_DEVICE_METAL=ON"

2 Likes

yes, I was wondering the same…You are able to choose both at the same time (but it currently crashes for me)
if I just choose CPU it works…but we have been using the CPU and thats not exciting

Also will make a nice test to see how much it throttles.

Learned something new and I can confirm mine crashes too as soon as I try to render.

the guy who had success built it on a intel mac and built the intel mac version…wonder if thats the difference here…

there is more detailed instructions now and that works :slight_smile:

M1Pro
GPU only

GPU and CPU (not much time gain but much lower memory)

GPU and CPU and first time the fans went over to about 2.2k RPMs

2 Likes

Hell yeah! Congrats on compiling the Metal build. Is it X86 or ARM?