Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

True that, I see what you mean.
Eons ago I actually had a dual Pentium 3 I think it was, for about 2 months… first, that thing wasn’t really any faster and second it would crash a whole lot more (especially during those days).

I guess because of what you mention, it has to be a tons more headache trying to deal with a dual CPU/Memory/etc properly.

1 Like

There are various threads around the web arguing that for Windows at least, Windows Defender’s treatment of your PC is actually better than the malware-like behavior of commercial antivirus apps. I finally got rid of AVG after it became unbelievably paranoid and would actually freeze my computer, requiring a hard reset. It needed to go in part to ensure I do not damage my hardware.

It gets worse than that, Norton Antivirus (on top of it reportedly staying on your machine even after uninstalling) will now eat the resources of your PC to mine crypto (though you can turn that feature off, for now).

2 Likes

The issue with Defender to me was simply that it seems to scan applications each time you start them. There’s always the beachball-equivalent (blue circle) icon overlay and a not-so-brief pause when loading them.
This may not be an issue for running Blender and the like but becomes one when you juggle programs frequently and leads to a sluggish feeling system. I came straight from an 8 year old system running Windows 7 and load times were considerably longer on the new machine until I killed Defender.

Anyway, this being the Mac thread … Gatekeeper doesn’t seem to be affected although apparently it does check binaries when you load them up (big server outage at Apple a few months ago that prevented local apps from starting).

2 Likes

Just found this quite cool too.

Smaller footprint than the Studio but 4 times higher.

2 Likes

interesting l, adobe released a new after effects version

1 Like

Aside how stupid that graph looks like (speed gain:LONGER is better),
This has been established a while ago. If your’re an editor or solo youtuber. You probably won’t need more than M1pro macbook and M1 max is overkill most likely.

But for blender(RENDERING) or any high end rendering purposes, M1 is far behind Nvidia monopoly. There’s nothing apple does about M1 that makes it look a good choice as either good offline rendering GPU or next gen realtime GPU. It’s weak. And while a youtuber might have all he dreamt of out of M1, unless you only do asset creation, some basic simulation etc. You’re going to be disappointed in apple.

They are in the right direction but they need to do a LOT better to catch up. Apple was sleeping for a long time so it might take a while for them to catch up. Unless youtuber and editor kind of people are their main target anyways.

3 Likes

Beside Pro Res, which should be double as fast (!?)
Ultra vs Max mostly the same result and even Max vs Pro
does not scale very well …

The only thing that mostly scales is 20 CPU cores is 80% faster
than only 10 CPU cores - at least …

1 Like

Yes I am really wondering after being long time Windows user, then Mac Os user for 4 years if it is time to go Linux.

As much as I like it on Mac OS, I am not sure if I like were Apple is going and I am no even talking performance but reparability, upgrade possibilities and maintenance.

Always get exited when they release a new machine but once the excitement is gone and I really think about it, I end up canceling the order :pensive:

I also don’t believe the SOC excuse, Ps5 is one too and you can put a M2 SSD in with 7 GB/sec.

well for anyone tempted by apple silicon for premiere editing… I was just trying to edit a workbench playblast I rendered out of blender, and the premiere timeline playback was ABOMINABLE. But when I open it in blender’s video editor its buttery smooth?

I know premiere doesn’t like h264s, but this is absurd. I’m not generating ginormous prores proxies to do a simple edit on a playblast. it feels like this has gotten worse?

1 Like

Have you tried editing on Davinci Resolve with Apple Silicon? Just curious as Davinci Resolve on Intel Mac is pretty dang fast.

1 Like

Could it be that Apple’s Fusion does not yet work,
in cases where neither double GPU cores nor double video accelerators
seem to accelerate anything in Ultra vs Max (?)

Apple meanwhile updated Final Cut, to the preview version optimized for Studio
which was only available for youtube Studio testers so far.
Has anyone tried it lately ?

Linux is a whole other type of beast, I looked into it and ultimately (as much of a tinkerer as I am) decided that I really didn’t want to have to write code just to install an app.

As far as repairability etc, Apple is far from the outlier here – the entire computing industry is moving that way.

I think that if I was doing primarily audio or video work, I would have bought a Studio Max already and would be very happy with the price/performance ratio at the $2000 price point. What really screws it up for people like us is that CG is a whole different ballgame in terms of performance, and despite Apple’s insistence that their GPU’s can go toe to toe with Nvidia ones, they don’t.

If Apple manages to really optimize the Blender Metal code in the next few months, and gain substantial speed overall I might completely change my mind.

I’ve already switched 90% of my workflow to Blender in the past 6 months due to it running much better in MacOS than Houdini (which is just now deciding to catch up). When it comes to render, I was evangelizing for 3Delight for quite some time, but screw those guys – they don’t have any render speed advantage over Cycles or even Karma regardless of what they say except in very specific situations which don’t apply to most users.

But I digress – in closing if Apple Metal can take full advantage of the hardware, if they can begin leveraging their Neural cores to do some heavy lifting (I’m thinking noise reduction and upscaling), if Blender gains some unique functionality that runs very efficiently on Mac – then I’m happy to toss about $2000-2500 Tim Apple’s way (but most definitely not $4000+…that’s insanity!!!)

3 Likes

So I looked at Xcode and all the other 3D tools that come with it. Apple wants the 3D trophy. That’s all going to change fundamentally. :smiley:

3 Likes

As a Linux user, I’d be more than happy to spend the next 10 hours explaining to you in excruciating detail why it’s the obvious best choice for all your needs.

6 Likes

Hey man, if you can or are willing, I ended up doing random simple video editing on FCP… coming from After Effects (yes, was even doing short video editing there) I won’t look back ever again.

It took some pains getting used to, FCP and the magnetic timeline is off-putting, it specially feels constrained coming from a ‘free-for-all-by-default’, some parts feel incredibly wonky and old, yet at the end… there’s just no match, once you got the tools I just drag and drop videos, ‘titles’ (for adjustment layers, simple animations, and whatnot… these are all called titles), transitions, chop and cut at the speed of light.

Maybe DaVinci Resolve would have been a better choice in hindsight, you could give the Cut Page a spin as it’s the embedded ‘Premiere Pro’ of it.

Let us know how it goes!

Glad to hear that Blender’s video editor is more performant than Premiere :sweat_smile:

Because there are like 100 distros and you will always find one that you like?

70% of the time, Linux works 100% of the time. You can’t say that about the other OSes.

Linux never crashes. At least until it does, but then it’s more like a gentle reminder that you that you’re not smart enough to use it, rather than a fault of the OS itself.

2 Likes

I have to say Mac OS is not bad in that regard have way less crashes than on Windows.

If this was further along or if I had a 2nd Mac I would try that.

1 Like

That’s not true at all :-). macOS runs better and more beautiful. I know all 3 operating systems for quite a long time. Linux I also get to crash and programs run amok there too. Only Blender runs best on Linux. :smiley:

4 Likes

How’s C4D doing in that aspect? Do they already utilize Apple Silicon power?