Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

You’re right. My apologies.

2 Likes

Thanks. I totally understand your frustration regarding the subject. I’d love to go for a new iMac this year, but it will mean a downgrade in terms of rendering speed. I’ve got a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti in my Windows PC right now.

1 Like

I use a couple of 2080Tis for Cycles but my main workstation is MacBook Air M1. MBA has a little bit weak graphics to work in Motion (sometimes I render without Motion Blur, or avoid using Reflection), but overall I’m still impressed how this small machine doing. I think I can easily work like this for at least another year, and in the meantime raise money for a decent Mac (Pro? :slight_smile:). Hopefully I won’t have to learn another 3D app and trash all the add-ons I bought…

1 Like

From Apple’s point of view, they don’t really care if a developer gives their product away for free or not. The only thing Apple cares about is – will this app sell more Macs? That’s basically it. (Actually, if there is one thing that Apple and the Blender Foundation have in common, is that they both give away their software for free). When it comes to 2D and desktop publishing, the answer is a resounding yes even though Apple has had a contentious relationship with Adobe for over two decades. Same thing with audio and music apps.

The CG crowd is by its own very definition a bit elusive, I think mostly because they are tinkerers by nature, and Apple’s product line is fundamentally opposite to that mindset. As I stated, I do believe that sheer processing muscle on the part of ARM would change that dynamic substantially. For instance, CPU computing is huge in apps like Houdini. If Apple ARM technology can process a simulation 3X faster than a competing Intel or AMD processor, then the studios will invest massively in ARM Macs which will in turn drive the trend for freelancers.

2 Likes

if there is one thing that Apple and the Blender Foundation have in common, is that they both give away their software for free

What software are you talking about? Xcode and the iWork apps are free, but any professional app (e.g. final cut or logic) is definitely paid

OS X, Garage Band, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and a ton of other stuff for the portables. Microsoft doesn’t do that.

And while Logic and Final Cut still cost some money, they are super cheap compared to everyone else. They also have with unlimited updates, I haven’t paid for Logic in well over 10 years and I’m still current with the latest version, I can’t say that for any other commercial software.

3 Likes

… and the Motion is hyper cheap. Purchased in 2011, so 10 years of free updates.

2 Likes

BTW, Blackmagic follows a similar marketing philosophy for very similar reasons as Apple, which is why the entire Resolve suite is free (with the “studio” version being only $300 and free with most Blackmagic cameras). Those businesses understand that they benefit the most from selling hardware and not software. Obviously this is different than Blender Foundation’s stated goal, but the results are similar – i.e. free stuff!!!

3 Likes

Zbrush is the only company I can think of that does that. You buy your license, and you get free updates until you die (though I bet if you will it to someone, then they can get the free updates).

2 Likes

When you buy a Mac, you effectively buy a license to use macOS on that computer, I don’t see how windows is any different.

With windows your getting all the basic apps, things like movie maker (not as good as iMovie but good enough), and the office apps are free through office online

instead of Xcode you get VS and VScode (which imo are much better then Xcode
The amount of money

And while Logic and Final Cut still cost some money,

Your point was that apple gave it for free. Apple does give some software for “free”. but their professional applications definitely cost money

I can’t say that for any other commercial software.

Lots of other companies do it, you just have to look. And I would say blender is closer to something like intellij or vscode

Great joke :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Ah yes, Motion. How I’ve missed that on Windows, especially since I tried After Effects and ran away screaming after just a few hours of working with that convoluted bloatware.

never said it was good, but its completely usable for a school project

theres https://natrongithub.github.io and https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/, natron is FOSS but its node based, and fusion costs a hefty amount, but both are good alternatives

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve also heard good things about Hitfilm Express / Pro, which is available for macOS as well:

Oh yeah? So basically any PC I buy will include Windows Pro at no additional charge?

Im sorry? Not exactly sure what you mean by that

It would depend on the computer you bought, most “professional” computers (e.g. dell latitudes) would include pro, whereas most regular computers (e.g. an xps) should include windows home

Back when apple used to make server hardware, a regular Mac mini would have macOS, and a server Mac mini would have macOS server edition, sounds about the same.

Wow for a free editor that looks surprisingly fully featured. I’ve seen a few kids using it before and always thought it was more of a toy, but it seems to have almost everything you need

1 Like

The official 2.93 ARM 64 Alpha build is up on the Blender site!!!

6 Likes

Are you a Mac user?