Mac: M3 - *Hardware accelerated RT (Part 1)

Weird, the ARM version is about 40mb smaller than Intel, I wonder why?

Needs less stuff… optimization? Or just a few things aren’t in there yet?

1 Like

It’s the third option that I’m worried about!

3 Likes

It’s happening!!! If we thought the Blender Foundation couldn’t care less about the Mac this should show that we were completely wrong. The ONLY OS to have TWO official versions supported by the BF!!!

5 Likes

Yes? I’m using my m1 MacBook right now, and use it for all my work

However like some other people here, I have a PC I use for gaming and rendering

are there any differences between the latest skw build and this one?

Official is 2.93 with all those 2.93 goodies and SKW’s is 2.92

1 Like

Let the benchmarks begin!

1 Like

Unfortunately, it will be people doing rendering benchmarks only and writing Mac OS off, with no idea what’s really under the hood. lol

Was missing you in the last discussions Tim, those are good news!!!:muscle:t3:

1 Like

Yeah! It’s finally here! Now only Metal has to appear in the system settings. :slight_smile: Thank you!

2 Likes

That’s great news, and stimulates me to really make the switch back this year. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Exciting times! Not sure if a total switch is needed if you are already using a high end PC. But it’s definitely a great option for users already in the Mac ecosystem, or for someone wanting to get a fairly powerful Blender machine for $600.

2 Likes

Who would have ever thought that Macs would be cheap as chips…

2 Likes

Render test:

Doing a CPU test against the HP PC with i7 and 48 GB Ram. The M1 does great in Blender!!!

Unbelievable! Same scene of me putting quite a strain on the computer.

M1 (CPU only. Blender runs as M1 version, fan can be heard quietly): 7 minutes and 28 seconds.
HP-PC (CPU only. Fan very audible): 9 minutes and 4 seconds.

Now the graphics card (GPU) is added here. This is of course very very fast.
HP-PC with RTX2080: 1 minute and 57 seconds.

The M1 version is now 2 minutes faster than the Intel version! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know, right? Crazy times. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A whole mac mini is cost less than an new 6700xt in some markets, that tells a lot about the PC market nowdays.

Even the mac laptops are worth buying just for the screen quality alone ( especially if you do graphics design ) compared to the like of XPS, which by the way are supposed to offer a cheaper alternative, but fail miserably in that department.

this might appear surreal if we go back few years ago, but Apple computers are definitively a good pick price wise.

2 Likes

I’m waiting to see the prices on the 16" MBPs before I start celebrating. That may be when the other shoe drops.

2 Likes

Thats even assuming you can find a 6700xt in stock these days. Been searching for a while still nothing

1 Like

Apple’s high-end is always going to be pricey. It’s just with the M1 chip we can get the “low-end” for a reasonable price that performs like a high-end Mac system.
Don’t get me wrong, that maxed out rumored 32’ iMac is going to be very pricey. :slight_smile:

3 Likes