Mac Pro 2019

I get that you’re infatuated by Apple and their products but you should do some due diligence.

If I were you I’d take a trip over to Youtube and watch the channels iPad Rehab and Louis Rossmann who have copious videos detailing the anti-consumer behaviour of Apple. The people running these channels serve the customers that Apple throws under the bus. Some of the cases should motivate you to adopt a more objective opinion.

I don’t care much about the Apple hardware.
If I care it is about MacOS.

The difference between you and me is that you just throw what ever negativity you have at an argument, cherry pick, and over exaggerate.

Or do you think Apple is the only profit orientated company?

Ok we Got it

For a workstation why would this be a problem? Mac pro has handles so taking it up and have it on anti static mat and gloves is important.

Seriously. I would never handle hardware with my bare hands.

1 Like

It’s amazing to think how wrong Apple got the ‘classic’ Mac Pro.

Pull the side panel release lever, the act of removing the side panel grounds the user, remove power lead, panel off, add memory, add pcie card, panel on and power lead back in, hit the power button to boot without removing every single damn cable.

Only Apple can get users to defend the indefensible, I’m pretty sure a large proportion of their users suffer with Stockholm Syndrome.

Let me illustrate how you talk but I’ll do it on a Dell PC.

“Bend down. Take a screw driver. Unscrew 2 screws on the back to take of the side panel. Put the side panel on the side. Stand up again. Take the stuff you need to put inside. Move the cables around because they are in the way. Inhale 4 year old dust. Get sick. Die of cancer. PC failed because it sounds like an airplane. You have to mentally ill to like Dell!”

You have to calm down. There is no Stockholm syndrome. It’s a workstation that maybe once a year needs a change something.

1 Like

this is a pretty new machine

time will tell if it will be enough for apple to regain list market.

this post was quite interesting because of their VRAM struggle with the iMacPros.

1 Like

The display is super interesting. I just wished real calibrators can get a hold of it just to test out the accuracy at 1600 nits.

1 Like

Still, he’s right about this one :slightly_smiling_face:: the new manner of opening the case is less practical than that of the old towers. It forces one to unplug all the cabling and move the machine away from the table it lies under for one to be able to lift the case, which, given the way I have set mine, would mean a major hassle. Yes, one might have to do it once a year, but it’s the kind of thing that makes a real bad impression (a swearing in Klingon-grade one :smile: ). I shudder thinking about having to access the innards of a rackmounted one.

Not that the old towers are swear-proof: oh, their sharp cut handles on my poor hands… Has Jon Ive ever heard of the classical suitcase’s center handle? Or the power button, so flush with the rest of the case that it’s almost impossible to locate by touch :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Everything in design is a trade off.

The motherboard can be equipped from both sides making a single side access panel not practical.
So you need to lift the case up. To maintain stability the frame however needs to be closed at the bottom (like a ring) requiring you to unplug the cables.

Now one can be angry about it and swear or realize that you do not open and close the case all the time this making this really that much less an inconvenience as stated by so many.

And those old sharp cut edges - oh yes painful.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s complete ignorance or Apple delusion that underpins your replies?

We live in a world where man has been sent into space and returned safely, we’ve build the Large Hadron Collider the largest and most complex machine ever built yet you expect us to believe designing a PC case that isn’t a complete pain in the arse to open is beyond the wit of man to solve? Well it’s certainly beyond the competence of the Apple design office that much is true.

Apple must see people like you and think they’re taking candy from a baby, they can continue to phone in designs as the legion of forum jockeys will jump to its defence. You’d get better products if your first inclination wasn’t to defend second rate design then go and reward Apple by buying it.

That display is actually pretty good and comparably priced.

1 Like

Hi @anon63258026, please try to be a bit more constructive and respectful in your comments, to keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

4 Likes

I don’t see the big deal about opening the case to upgrade. Sure it is a PTA but not something you do to often. My biggest gripe is the cost of entry. These are at the extremities of the pro market.

If you are authoring HDR content the display makes it well worth it.

I am curious how the machine would perform against a PC made of more regular parts.

The Mac Pro is a workstation for Hollywood pro makers. It doesn’t belong here, neither because as it’s not for 3D, nor because nobody except overpaid Hollywood studios can afford it.
People is getting pointlessly angry for nothing. Please @Fweeb, close this thread.

I disagree to close it - rather I would remind people not to rant and if you have nothing constructive to add say nothing.

1 Like

If you work in photography (car industry for example) and like macOS then this machine
incl. the display is not that much. Camera equipment you don’t buy at Walmart either.

Well, I have to say that, unlike Cycles, ranting is bidirectional. :slight_smile:

What do you consider “regular” parts? Xeon, Radeon or ECC RAM aren’t custom Apple parts, you can build a PC with close or identical parts and I would expect little to no performance difference.

There are a few bits of custom silicon that affece performance - T2 and the Afterburner card help with certain video codecs, and Apple’s solid state storage often receives praise for its performance (I would expect high end off the shelf parts being able to match it though).

Currently
the used Xeon chip you cannot buy
the motherboard is custom designed
the Vega 2 duo is also a custom design

Apple always has the Apple price tag and you can rebuild such a PC for around 2k less.

But in case you need so many PCI lanes, memory bandwidth, and the afterburner card then the price difference quickly diminishes being an issue.

Where everybody can agree on is that recently AMD just steamrolled Intel.
But it is a little tricky to so quickly to so quickly change the design when switching cpu.
Time will tell if AMD now offfers the hardware that makes the switch from Intel an option.