MacBook questions

Hi!

I work in a Mac environment at my job, and I’m on a Macbook Pro M3.

As fancy as this hardware is, I’m less than impressed. One issue in particular I’m trying to resolve is a memory error (GPU out of memory). The type of work im doing is far from complex. Basically, the object is a gift bag with various graphic textures being swapped out. Very simple, low geometry.

Is there helpful link that shows how to optimize Blender for a Macbook (or vice versa)? I find it hard to believe that this laptop is having so much trouble.

Thanks!

If you consume a lot of memory in a simple scene, there are cases where high-definition images are used.
It’s not common, but there may be memory leaks.

dad

Adjust image resolution using Simplify and check memory usage

Macs are notoriously HORRIBLE for 3D, period. You should encourage your work to invest in PCs for 3D work. It will improve stability and speed. I know as we had all Mac pros for years and the switch to PC was extremely beneficial, despite IT being Mac fans.

1 Like

How much RAM does the MacBook have? Keep in mind it is all shared, which can be good or bad. By default I also believe that the OS will cap RAM to the GPU at 75% total.

So if you buy the Apple rubbish that you don’t need much RAM and only got a laptop with 8GB, then once you factor in base OS requirements, base Blender and maybe have a limit of 75% of whats left and it may not take much to run of of GPU RAM.

The product description says that the RAM capacity is 18gb (32gb on some models) and is shared by the CPU and GPU.

Not a small amount of memory. :slightly_smiling_face:

Assuming its the Macbook Pro with the M3 Pro. It could be the standard Macbook Pro, 14" model with the base M3, in which case, it may only have 8GB RAM. So the same amount that my 7 year old 1070 Ti GPU has.

Add the OS, Blender, any other open apps, and throw in a few 4K textures, etc at render time and not hard to run out of RAM.

If that’s the case, and since its an Apple product, the OP is basically stuffed, not like you can add any more RAM.