Made in Blender - Played in Blender: Logic Stack Modifier

The “Made in Blender - Played in Blender” slogan could be used to market the release of VSE Interaction Strip and VSE Logic Stack Modifier. At the same time a game (i.e. Big Buck Bunny’s Adventures) and tutorials could be released to illustrate how StoryPencil/Grease Pencil scenes were used to create it.

Logic Stack Modifier - a modifier that provides the ability to get/set variables, simple math and conditional logic, and jump directly to different Markers on the timeline

It is not intended to replace the interaction strip but to provide additional functionality.

This modifier is a simple logic stack. If each element in the stack evaluates to “true” it continues down the stack. There is no “ELSE” condition. Since strips can contain multiple modifiers the “ELSE” condition would be added as an additional modifier.

It can contain:

• Custom Property (i.e. Health, Magic Porwer…etc)
  • a FLOAT/INTEGER
  • a STRING
  • math functions
    • EQUALS (as in set)
    • ADD / PLUS
    • MINUS / SUBRACT
    • MULTIPLYBY
    • SUBTRACTBY
    • +=, -=, *=, /=
  • condtions
    • LESSTHAN
    • GREATERTHAN
    • EQUALTO/SAMEAS
    • NOTEQUAL
    • ISCLICKED (set if user clicks on Interactive Strip click region)
  • commands
    • GOTO MARKER
    • HIDE CHANNEL
    • SHOW CHANNEL

Example:

• HEALTH
  • MINUS
  • EQUALTO
  • GOTO “You are dead”

Simple syntax checking would be implemented.

This modifier would have access to ALL Custom Properties defined. It may be good practice though to add an empty strip at the beginning (i.e. a Color strip with 0 alpha) and add all the Custom Properties used there.

To draw a HUD simply, the VSE TEXT STRIP would need the ability to assign a Custom Property for it’s Text field. Maybe $(HEALTH) type syntax?