“Mafia 3” - Trying to reproduce an environment and its atmosphere on Blender

The reference: “Mafia DE Wallpaper Engine Wallpaper - Main Theme Visualization”. It’s still a little different when it’s done by professionals!
Here, it was still a learning process, especially for the raindrops on the window, the neon lights outside with a blur effect, the velvet armchair, some transparencies and lime interior lighting (the incandescent bulbs of yesterday).

• My rain is not as real as in the original: I would have liked to do better. I think this effect alone is a lot of work.

In the meantime, I wanted to model a “Mars attack” style rifle elsewhere, which I put there, in the end, because… For no reason.

• The 3d model of the typewriter comes from the Internet, not from me, like the photos in the frames.

My version seems too light, too “clean” and not enough contrast, compared to the original.

2 Likes

My référence :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3oWcmLj22A&t=80s

Viewport :

1 Like

When you want to make a night time scene, you want to make it feel dark. But, an image that feels dark isn’t actually completely dark, it just has the light placed differently.

The feeling of night time is all about spots of intense light surrounded by a sea of darkness. It’s harsh shadows stretching across object, it’s intense lights with artificial colors that we associate with night.

In the original, you will see there is very little ambient light. Some areas of the room are lit by localised spots of light and the rest is almost pure darkness. The outside is also completely dark except for the neons. In your image, you have given the outside a blue ambient light, but in the original image, that blue hue is caused entirely by the glare and rain reflections from the very bright neon signs (the sky is probably completely dark).

Also, the original cheats the lighting a bit: there is blue light on the desk and on the couch with the gun, which is probably added manually with spot lights. Also, the lamp is actually really weak, so the blue light from outside ends up almost dominating the lighting.

1 Like

Thanks again (…) (!)
This time, I’m going to keep quiet. I went a little overboard with my long tirade in response to your previous indications. And meditate at greater length on your remarks, which I find very precise.
Well, at the same time, I will hide to hide a little to rest…
But… “I’ll be back”… To paraphrase Pinocchior.

1 Like