Make a UV-sphere from a plane

Hi there,
I’m trying to make a “uv sphere” out of a plane. Therefore i use shape keys. I subdivide a plane several times, make a shape key, move up some frames and use the “to sphere” button to make it a sphere. But:

How can i make/get a round plane/sphere instead of a half sphere that i get now. I know that i could use the sequence editor but i prefer not to.

What i want to do is map a worldtexture on the plane and morph it to a sphere.

Thanx for any help,
Twan

I don’t know for sure… but could you do what you are wanting with latices?.. if I spelt that right… and have it morph and squew like that?

How can i make/get a round plane/sphere instead of a half sphere that i get now

If you are starting with a rectangle, first I think I’d make an intermediate shape key that gets the plane into a cylinder (Warp tool can do this). Then try “to sphere” on the cylinder and/or do a bunch of vertex pushing/scaling. Bear in mind you will introduce a lot of distortion at the poles. Do you have to start with a rectangle, or can you use another projection of the sphere?

Another approach would be to start with the sphere, make cuts in it so you can open it, and make shape keys for the flattened version. You’ll probably need some intermediate keys too.

The lattice-method is used in this example:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77578

Werner