Make Distribute Points on Faces generate more evenly spaced points?

Is there any method or a workaround how to make Distribute Points on Faces generating more evenly spaced points? For example to generate regularly planted trees like these?
Screenshot 2022-07-05 134650

I would really appreciate an option to choose from various types of distribution in this node.
Even in particles we have at least some options:
Screenshot 2022-07-05 134839

Distribute Points on Faces isn’t the only way to generate points. Anything with Verts can be plugged into a “Points” input.

Don’t think that’s necessary, just use mesh_to_points or curve_to_points.

e.g.:

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you, that sounds promising!
But I am missing these 2 features from Distribute Points on Faces:

• can I adjust the density using an atrribute?
  • if so, then can it prevent a collection children from regenerating (using stable IDs)?

Thanks!

The concept of “evenly spaced points” is at odds with the concept of “distribution density”. Evenly spaced points + density is not achievable with particles and the closest you can get to that with GN is using the Poisson Disk distribution on the Distribute Points on Faces node. When generating points from a mesh your options are limited to upping the grid density (“Vertices X” and “Vertices Y”) or subdividing the underlying mesh.

Not sure what you mean by that… Collections consist of instances that are pre-generated so your question makes no sense to me.

Good luck.

1 Like

Collections consist of instances that are pre-generated

I use “Separate Children” in Collection Info node, so each child is handled separately.

I managed to create that setup with distributing on vertices, including density attr paint and stable IDs.
scatter-on-vertices.blend (162.7 KB)
Now I am trying to find out how to achieve an evenly spaced distribution even with lower density, any tips appreciated if anybody has idea.