This problem is solved, but I ended up in the comments section of a Polish webpage, before I had googled deep enough to get a straight forward answer to the problem. I’m just posting here so that maybe google will pick it up.
Linux Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16
I just built Blender 2.78 from the git for the first time. And though I’ve got a little experience compiling stuff someone else wrote, the build failed and I was completely stumped as to why. Make failed right in the middle of compiling Freestyle, without any kind of meaningful error message…
[ 82%] Building CXX object source/blender/freestyle/CMakeFiles/bf_freestyle.dir/intern/winged_edge/WFillGrid.cpp.o [ 82%] Building CXX object source/blender/freestyle/CMakeFiles/bf_freestyle.dir/intern/winged_edge/WSFillGrid.cpp.o [ 82%] Building CXX object source/blender/freestyle/CMakeFiles/bf_freestyle.dir/intern/winged_edge/WXEdge.cpp.o [ 82%] Building CXX object source/blender/freestyle/CMakeFiles/bf_freestyle.dir/intern/winged_edge/WXEdgeBuilder.cpp.o [ 82%] Building CXX object source/blender/freestyle/CMakeFiles/bf_freestyle.dir/intern/winged_edge/WingedEdgeBuilder.cpp.o [ 82%] Linking CXX static library ../../../lib/libbf_freestyle.a [ 82%] Built target bf_freestyle Makefile:160: recipe for target 'all' failed make: *** [all] Error 2 GNUmakefile:124: recipe for target 'all' failed make: *** [all] Error 2
The problem was, one of the make threads failed about 200 lines back up the screen, and patiently waited till the other thread came up for air. It was actually Alembic that failed for me, and I don’t need Alembic.
I used install_deps.sh to sort out the dependencies, and it writes a file BUILD_NOTES.txt
I was using the command at the bottom of that file…
make -j2 BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-U *SNDFILE* -U *PYTHON* -U *BOOST* -U *Boost* -U *OPENCOLORIO* -U *OPENEXR* -U *OPENIMAGEIO* -U *LLVM* -U *CYCLES* -U *OPENSUBDIV* -U *OPENVDB* -U *COLLADA* -U *FFMPEG* -U *ALEMBIC* -D WITH_CODEC_SNDFILE=ON -D PYTHON_VERSION=3.5 -D WITH_OPENCOLORIO=ON -D OPENCOLORIO_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/ocio -D WITH_OPENIMAGEIO=ON -D OPENIMAGEIO_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/oiio -D WITH_CYCLES_OSL=ON -D WITH_LLVM=ON -D LLVM_VERSION=3.4 -D CYCLES_OSL=/opt/lib/osl -D LLVM_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/llvm -D LLVM_STATIC=ON -D WITH_OPENSUBDIV=ON -D OPENSUBDIV_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/osd -D WITH_OPENVDB=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB_BLOSC=ON -D WITH_OPENCOLLADA=ON -D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON -D ALEMBIC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/alembic -D WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG=ON -D FFMPEG_LIBRARIES='avformat;avcodec;avutil;avdevice;swscale;swresample;lzma;rt;theoradec;theora;theoraenc;vorbisenc;vorbisfile;vorbis;ogg;xvidcore;vpx;mp3lame;x264;openjpeg;openjpeg_JPWL'"
In that command I made these changes…
-D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON #Replaced with -D WITH_ALEMBIC=OFF -D ALEMBIC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/alembic #Removed, probably didn't need to. -U *ALEMBIC* #Wasn't sure, so I just left it.
Then in the ~/blender-git/blender directory I did
make clean rm -rf ../build_linux
…and ran the make command again. Success!